The Longest Journey Swedish Demo?

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Cire

The Longest Journey Swedish Demo?

Post by Cire »

I wonder if anyone still have the demo version of The Longest Journey in Swedish language? It used to be available from Funcom's FTP server, but was apparently removed when they did a spring cleaning of their FTP earlier this year. I have been unable to locate Another copy anywhere, only finding the English demo. If it's any help the filename was 'denlangstaresandemo.exe' and was around 80MB in size. Maybe Worth noting it was also available in at least Norwegian, Dutch and French too besides English and Swedish iirc.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

If it ever was on one of Swedish PC Gamers CD:s, maybe I can search my stack?
Cire

Post by Cire »

Thanks, that would be kind. If you happen across any other Swedish demos, I would be interested of those too.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I found the first mention of 'the longest journey' in the February -99 issue of (swedish) PCG, for a future release - it did not seem very exiting to PCG at first, but later it got more attention, and then there was an early demo (build 137) included with the September 2000 issue.

I tried installing & running it, but it does not like XP64 or Win95/98 compatibility mode - the installer warned that NT was unsupported - and while the startup menus work (in the sound config, she speaks Swedish), but the game itself will not work for me, I get dumped to desktop when starting.

Still interested?
Cire

Post by Cire »

Yup, still interested. It sounds like the right demo to me. The early versions of TLJ had compatitbility issues with NT-based systems, and I don't Think the Swedish language version was ever fixed sadly.
While there's a Swedish patch available, It's quite possible it won't work on the demo, since it was intended for the full version: http://www.puh.nu/listor/spel/uppdat/169.html
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I also found a later Demo in English language, Build 138, on a CD from another gaming magazine: 'Spel för alla' issue #2, 2000. (Same result, a CTD when launching the game).

I tested the patch, but it refuses to install, as it rightfully complains that several registry keys for the full game are missing.

I'm not sure, but I think I may have the full game somewhere in a storage box. (maybe it's the Dreamfall followup, I don't recall)
If I can find and install that + patch if needed, then maybe swapping out the main exe of the demo works?

edit #1: I found it, but - my full version is the English language one, so I don't know if it could work, really.

edit #2: I tried swapping the game.exe, but that did not work. Seems the executables are too different to just replace, getting procedure entry points mismatch. (build 142)

edit #3: The full game has some issues with either 64bit Windows XP itself, or newer graphics cards, as I'm getting an error popup when launching:
----
D:\ra\engine03\DX_Module\surface.cpp 486.
Check failed: One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect.
----
The game came with DirectX v7, and this looks like a DirectX graphics error to me. (Using DirextX 9.0c)

I couldn't find any settings in the games preferences.ini file that affected this. (640x480 in a window worked though)

I think I only ran this on 32bit XP before, so possibly it's a 64bit compatibility problem. (the launcher is 16bit so I run the game.exe direct)

Not going to bother with this anymore I think.
Last edited by Rwolf on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cire

Post by Cire »

Alright, it was worth a try! :) However, I'm still interested in the Swedish demo
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Link sent by PM, enjoy.

Note: the demo was unpacked into one directory on the PCG disc, so I just zipped it up. (The English demo was in an single installer executable)
Cire

Post by Cire »

Thanks for that! :)