DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horror/zombie game possibly DOS before 2005[The house of...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games
Electabuzz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 am     Post subject: Horror/zombie game possibly DOS before 2005[The house of...] Reply with quote

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't exactly recall much about this game so I apologize if my descriptons are vague.

This was when I was very young, around 2005 maybe, but I recall playing a game that had DOS 3D like graphics, I can confirm that the system I was running on was a very early version of windows XP, in fact, it could have been one of the first releases of the system, it was old enough that the monitor was a big box and keyboard and mouse was connected with a 6 pin mini DIN cable instead of USB. I don't remember if DOS box software was required to run dos games on that system or if it could run DOS games by itself.

About the game: I stated that I recall playing the game at around 2005 but it is possible the game is much older, maybe from between 1995-2005 which is the reason I believe it was a DOS game. The only recollection I have of the game is that the main menu was similar to that of Doom, by this I mean how the main menu has options to start game and stuff but in the background, there was a demo that would be playing byitself. The game started with a short cutscene or animation of a car that stops at the front of a building, possibly a church (I'll go on to describe this building later) after that I think the car's trunk opens and a man, presumably the protagonist retrieves something from inside possibly weapons. When the gameplay starts, you enter the building, the reason I said it was a church earlier was because I remember it having rows of wooden benches, which is why I assume it was a church. From the sides of these benches, there would be these zombie-like enemies and you would need to attack them with an axe as that was the default weapon I guess. I don't recall if you had to move with keyboard controls or you moved automatically. As I said I was very young at the time so I never really got past this point, I had no idea how to play and I was probably too scared to play further, don't have a very good memory of the game itself, it is entirely possible that everything I just described was another cutscene or animation before the game even starts.

Again I apologize for such a vague description, but this is literally one of my earliest memories, and what I just described is all I remember. If anyone finds anything I said slightly farmiliar to a game that they know, please do suggest it and I shall check it out.

Thank you.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 am     Post subject: Re: Horror/zombie game, possibly DOS before 2005 Reply with quote

I edited your post title a bit.

Can you explain what you mean by "DOS 3D like graphics"? Pseudo-3D stuff with sprites like Doom? Or low-resolution 3D like Quake (both are DOS games originally).

It might be a good idea for oyu to check the list of zombie themed games at MobyGames.
Electabuzz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember exactly if it was 2.5D like Doom or Full 3D like quake but I feel like it was full 3D like quake, so yea, I lean more towards the possibility of it being full 3D and thanks or the list, ill check out the games from 1994 onward.
Electabuzz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 am     Post subject: Re: Horror/zombie game, possibly DOS before 2005 Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:

It might be a good idea for oyu to check the list of zombie themed games at MobyGames.

Update: I found the game

I found the game on the list of games at Moby, at first I found a game called "The house of the dead" and it seemed very very familiar that what I had described, but I knew it wasn't the one. T

hen I saw it had a sequel, "The house of the Dead 2" Checked out the footage on YouTube and bingo, this is it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2alnNLQFEg

If you watch the video u'll see how my description of it is quite accurate, although i seemed to have some false memory, the guy never gets anything from the trunk of the car.. and there never was an axe but rather a gun, lol but yea I found the game, thanks for the help
Rwolf
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory tends to fill in gaps with unrelated stuff sometimes.

Moby link: http://www.mobygames.com/game/house-of-the-dead-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games