Horror/zombie game possibly DOS before 2005[The house of...]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Electabuzz

Horror/zombie game possibly DOS before 2005[The house of...]

Post by Electabuzz »

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't exactly recall much about this game so I apologize if my descriptons are vague.

This was when I was very young, around 2005 maybe, but I recall playing a game that had DOS 3D like graphics, I can confirm that the system I was running on was a very early version of windows XP, in fact, it could have been one of the first releases of the system, it was old enough that the monitor was a big box and keyboard and mouse was connected with a 6 pin mini DIN cable instead of USB. I don't remember if DOS box software was required to run dos games on that system or if it could run DOS games by itself.

About the game: I stated that I recall playing the game at around 2005 but it is possible the game is much older, maybe from between 1995-2005 which is the reason I believe it was a DOS game. The only recollection I have of the game is that the main menu was similar to that of Doom, by this I mean how the main menu has options to start game and stuff but in the background, there was a demo that would be playing byitself. The game started with a short cutscene or animation of a car that stops at the front of a building, possibly a church (I'll go on to describe this building later) after that I think the car's trunk opens and a man, presumably the protagonist retrieves something from inside possibly weapons. When the gameplay starts, you enter the building, the reason I said it was a church earlier was because I remember it having rows of wooden benches, which is why I assume it was a church. From the sides of these benches, there would be these zombie-like enemies and you would need to attack them with an axe as that was the default weapon I guess. I don't recall if you had to move with keyboard controls or you moved automatically. As I said I was very young at the time so I never really got past this point, I had no idea how to play and I was probably too scared to play further, don't have a very good memory of the game itself, it is entirely possible that everything I just described was another cutscene or animation before the game even starts.

Again I apologize for such a vague description, but this is literally one of my earliest memories, and what I just described is all I remember. If anyone finds anything I said slightly farmiliar to a game that they know, please do suggest it and I shall check it out.

Thank you.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Horror/zombie game, possibly DOS before 2005

Post by MrFlibble »

I edited your post title a bit.

Can you explain what you mean by "DOS 3D like graphics"? Pseudo-3D stuff with sprites like Doom? Or low-resolution 3D like Quake (both are DOS games originally).

It might be a good idea for oyu to check the list of zombie themed games at MobyGames.
Electabuzz

Post by Electabuzz »

I don't remember exactly if it was 2.5D like Doom or Full 3D like quake but I feel like it was full 3D like quake, so yea, I lean more towards the possibility of it being full 3D and thanks or the list, ill check out the games from 1994 onward.
Electabuzz

Re: Horror/zombie game, possibly DOS before 2005

Post by Electabuzz »

MrFlibble wrote:
It might be a good idea for oyu to check the list of zombie themed games at MobyGames.
Update: I found the game

I found the game on the list of games at Moby, at first I found a game called "The house of the dead" and it seemed very very familiar that what I had described, but I knew it wasn't the one. T

hen I saw it had a sequel, "The house of the Dead 2" Checked out the footage on YouTube and bingo, this is it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2alnNLQFEg

If you watch the video u'll see how my description of it is quite accurate, although i seemed to have some false memory, the guy never gets anything from the trunk of the car.. and there never was an axe but rather a gun, lol but yea I found the game, thanks for the help
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

The memory tends to fill in gaps with unrelated stuff sometimes.

Moby link: http://www.mobygames.com/game/house-of-the-dead-2