Maths UK school computer game solving tasks with angles etc

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Jonframe

Maths UK school computer game solving tasks with angles etc

Post by Jonframe »

Platform: can't be certain but probably Acorn computers or early version of Microsoft windows

Year/Date: played it at school between 1995-1997, though being from semi-rural village in South Wales, which can sometimes be some years behind England and U.S. technologically, I wouldn't be surprised if the game was actually made in late 1980's, early 1990's.

Genre: Maths/logic learning game, practicing knowledge of angles and multiplication through tasks in adventure themed journey across land, sea and rivers

Graphics: Seemingly not that advanced for mid-to-late nineties. 8-bit/low resolution pixels, similar to MS-DOS game screenshots I've seen, though full colour as opposed to blue, black and pink. Small pixelly human characters, possibly pirates (not cartoon creatures) moving across the screen from side view like most graphic adventure games.

Controls: Keyboard and point and click

Description: Tasks included finding the correct angle to ricochet/bounce a rope through all the parallel hoops of a rope suspension bridge; Finding the correct angles to guide a boat down river rapids, or a sail ship through a rocky sea path; using maths to guide characters across a dangerous section of land.

Hints/Clues: titles sounds similar to mathsphere/maths sphere or maths quest. Very similar in style to early Kings Quest games, but not Kings Quest.

Developer/Publisher: searched all of Broderbund and learning company games and doesn't seem to be by them. I remember this game also came with other games called Logo - moving spider or turtle icons with angles, and sports sprinting/hurdles game requiring hitting keys quickly, but I can't find anything on who made those either.

Distribution: Can't find the games on any American old game websites or old game lists, so maybe it was U.K. made or only sold to primary schools in the U.K.

Thank you in advance and good luck!
tomassey

Post by tomassey »

We had BBC Micros from Acorn in school in the early 90's. Can't remember the exact game you mention, but I do remember using Logo on them. From your description of having to pick the right angle to throw the rope or sail the ship, it seems possible the game was developed in Logo as that programming language is great for drawing lines at a specified angle and similar maths work. It sounds like the sort of game that would have been developed by the education team at Acornsoft. Is Turtle Graphics something like what you're looking for when you mention Logo (not the specific game you're looking for I think, but may give you some hints)?
Jonframe

Post by Jonframe »

tomassey wrote:We had BBC Micros from Acorn in school in the early 90's. Can't remember the exact game you mention, but I do remember using Logo on them. From your description of having to pick the right angle to throw the rope or sail the ship, it seems possible the game was developed in Logo as that programming language is great for drawing lines at a specified angle and similar maths work. It sounds like the sort of game that would have been developed by the education team at Acornsoft. Is Turtle Graphics something like what you're looking for when you mention Logo (not the specific game you're looking for I think, but may give you some hints)?
Hi Tomassey. Thanks for your response. I followed the link to the acorn electron website and checked all the games on their list which has taken me days what with work and everything. Sorry for the late reply. I know it's not an exhaustive list but couldn't find it. I got close to the graphics of the game I remember with "Seas of Blood" by Adventure International but I know that's not the game. The logo programming you mention sounds like a good lead though. I tried to look for a list of maths games made using logo programming but couldn't find anything. I'm not techy so I have no idea what I'm looking for in computing terms or how to describe it. If you have any other ideas let me know. I'm grateful for any help I can get.
Keetie

Post by Keetie »

Hello,

You can try:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/index.php

asking them too. Someone might know there, Acorn lovers.

Keetie