Grey FPS MS-DOS/Win

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
cristy_maxspeed

Post by cristy_maxspeed »

Unfortunately it's not Max Resistance either.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Thundra? Grey enough but somewhat sci-fi themed.

You start outdoors, with your fists and some dynamite sticks on the ground, eventually find a weapon of some kind.

Not a massive amount of enemies, some zombie types and robots but they do hunt you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RiE9ABuJGI
cristy_maxspeed

No :( But thanks a lot for your help!
I believe it was daylight / clear sky (definitely not raining tho) in the first level of the game that I am looking for (at least considering the low graphical settings). And when you went inside through that gate there were a few (most likely) human guards who chase you when they see you, not strange creatures and/or zombies. I also believe we're looking in the late '90s - early '00s range, possibly a Windows game (at lowest settings perhaps) (after all, it was working natively in WinXP) and not a MS-DOS game necessarily.
BTW, I just checked out this game "Exploding Lips", oddly it looks familiar too.
cristy_maxspeed

Any other ideas? I still haven't found this game :blah:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Hopefully these guesses aren't repeats, I didn't see them in a quick scan of the thread. :)

Have you played with an image search to see if anything looks familiar?
https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... ldier+gray

I remember the first few Soldier of Fortune series having dull levels "grey or brown".
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sol ... une-series

And Oni was a great game but had a "real building architect" design the levels, basically proving why we don't do that - lots of concrete, steel, and builder basic beige levels.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/oni
cristy_maxspeed

Yes I tried an image search before but what I recall is much worse (graphics). It could be just that I had lowest graphical settings. For all I know, it might as well be RTCW, Delta Force or other similar game, if only I could find a video how it would look like on a very old GPU (if my memories serve me well, it's an 8MB GPU). I am pretty sure I can confirm the game if I see a video of it. I would test it myself but I do not own a retro PC.
I don't think it's one of the Soldier of Fortune games as I can't find a level as grey as I remember. And regarding Oni, it's far from it.
However, this looks familiar: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
cristy_maxspeed

Still looking for this, I updated the first post, anything similar to Delta Force or is it the only one who fits that description?
cristy_maxspeed

Updated
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Have I mentioned The Varginha Incident (also known as Alien Anarchy)? There's clear sky, outdoors area, big grey building and human guards at the start (not sure if they're as numerous as you describe though).
cristy_maxspeed

MrFlibble wrote:Have I mentioned The Varginha Incident (also known as Alien Anarchy)? There's clear sky, outdoors area, big grey building and human guards at the start (not sure if they're as numerous as you describe though).
Unfortunately that's not it.
I kept looking for it but still haven't found the game. Its graphics looked like TimeSplitters 2 if my memory is correct, or Project IGI at best.
I still have the feeling it's Delta Force 1, but I haven't found a map which looks similar to that grey background with a castle/fortress/tower stuck in my mind.
cristy_maxspeed

Update for this old topic: After seeing the logo for Red Faction - Xmod it felt familiar. I decided to look for more information about it, but I didn't find any gameplay video for that particular mod, however I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlpdQg77E0
I believe that pistol at 4:09 might be the one I remember having in the game I'm looking for. This game also has green HUD elements, which I seem to recall.
Is anyone willing to help me pursue this lead? Are there any other mods or derivatives for Red Faction 1?
AtlusFan

Grey FPS MS-DOS/Win

Post by AtlusFan »

I could easily see this being a part from Doom II: Hell on Earth. Some later levels have a cityscape theme and I was taking a brief look into this, there is a castle area which was brown with some gray, and the sky was bleak and overcast with little bits of light shining through with a skyline. There's one particular area where you get a red skull key, just before opening a door which contains several human enemies as well as what I think is a Skeleton enemy. I found it on World of Longplays, if you look up PC Longplay [089] Doom II: Hell on Earth (part 1 of 2), the part in question starts at about 1:22:32.

Is this it? If not, is this a good frame of reference? I hope it helps!

Edit: This most likely is not it, I reread some of your posts and you said something about a clear sky, so I apologize, but it did sound similar to this and it was the first ting that sprung to mind. Still curious to know if it was anything like this.
cristy_maxspeed

Grey FPS MS-DOS/Win

That's unfortunately not it but I appreciate your help very much!
I looked at the video you mentioned but it's not the same game I was looking for :(
(Also sorry for the late reply)