DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few DOS games that I wrote...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
EliseAutoXr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:12 pm     Post subject: A few DOS games that I wrote... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to DOSGAMES.COM and I have a couple of games that created back in early 90's that I would like to upload to the archive... but also happy to provide the source code and discuss game design in general. I look forward to bringing back some gaming memories via DOSBOX Happy.

Thanks,
Bradley
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:19 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the community! Wink

Any links to download your games?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:42 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bradley, and welcome to the forums!

The dosgames.com website hasn't been updated in a while, and it is my understanding that no substantial update is planned for the time being. I suggest that you contact Swizzle, the admin of DEMU.org. That website is frequently updated and is affiliated with the Internet Archive 9all files are stored at the Archive).
EliseAutoXr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:42 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the welcomes! Sorry to here the site is a bit stale. My biggest selling games where BattleStar and BattleStar 2. I had 3 really cool games in the works when I got a job programming so the games took a back seat... then just ended. I will zip up a DOSBOX setup with the games and provide a link to try them.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:32 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

EliseAutoXr wrote:
I will zip up a DOSBOX setup with the games and provide a link to try them.

Actually I think it would be better to distribute the games in their original form, without bundling them with DOSBox. Many people prefer to use DOSBox builds different from vanilla.

It is also probably worth noting that there's an idea of a special packaging format compatible with DOSBox that would facilitate easy use for those who aren't very familiar with DOSBox's workings.

After some Googling I found two BattleStar games by Vivvid Technologies: BATLSTAR.ZIP and BSTAR2.ZIP. Are those yours?
EliseAutoXr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK, yes those are mine. I had a lot of fun with the matrix math when making the first one, because it mostly vector graphics. The fun on BattleStar 2 was the height mapped "3D" terrain when you go down to the planet to get more weapons, energy, etc.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:12 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how exciting! I've had fun with Battlestar 1, and was very impressed by the vector gameplay, nicely done. I didn't run into them until "coming back"-ish to Dos gaming a few years ago and trying to take the hobby more seriously. I wish I had seen them back in the day, it's a game I would have loved and played the heck out of, like Sopwith.

I don't think I've ever seen Battlestar 2 before, I look forward to checking it out. And if you wanted to share "Dev Tales" of their creation, we'd love to hear those, too!

I like the idea of packaging it with DosBox, but it is nice also to have the plain version of just the game. Not just for picky people who want a special version of DosBox, but there are Mac and Linux gamers who can't run the Windows version.

Also, just a suggestion, some games I've seen packaged through all the DosBox + game files in the same directory, and that's often messy to separate. Others put the game in its own directory, and that is very clean - easy to get the game files out of a "vanilla" DosBox install that way. Up to you, of course!

I like the idea of a dosbox packaging format, I hope it finally comes to fruition. The idea has been around as long as DosBox has...
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:42 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

EliseAutoXr wrote:
Ah, OK, yes those are mine.

Great! The licenses say those are shareware, do you intend to re-release them as freeware? If so, I suggest that you pick a suitable license and pack it with the registered versions' files. The admin of RGB Cassic Games will probably be happy to add your games to the site. You can check the licenses of former shareware games turned freeware to get the idea of appropriate licensing.

Quadko wrote:
And if you wanted to share "Dev Tales" of their creation, we'd love to hear those, too!

Completely agree with that!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:54 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadko, have you been able to run BattleStar 2 in DOSBox? Doesn't seem to work for me either in vanilla or in SVN Daum.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:16 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried yet; I'll give it a go this weekend and report on results. Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games