Ken's Labyrinth

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Ken's Labyrinth

Post by Dogbreath »

Just a quick note to all you people out there who like Ken's Lab but have trouble with sound/speed or lockups: Kens Labyrinth has recently been ported to modern operating systems! Pick up your copy of it at the <html><a href=http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm>Offical Ken's Lab Page</a></html>
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

sweet... but did that game piss anybody off as much as it did to me? i could never get past the 2nd level -lol- it ran wayyy to fast on my old p1 so it was really hard, but it is good to see that they haven't forgortten about it. I'll dl that tonite -w00t-
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Heh, running fast means that your system is incompatible... it did that for one of my computers too. This version runs at perfect speed... and I've beaten all three episodes. (It's somewhat easy, actually, and the plot is insane and quirky)

The graphics for the game suck (by modern standards, they were more or less the best avalible at the time (92)), the general gameplay is so-so, and the music is annoying. However, Silverman somehow manages to mix these three to create an uneasy, pit-in-your-stomach tension on some of the levels where you think that there is something seriously wrong but you can't just put your finger on it because the insane, impossible layout of the dungeon can't really be compared to anything else.

Play it past midnight and you'll get a feeling that you haven't had since you played Half-Life demo version for the first time past midnight and had that zombie coming up behind you.

Also, the Epic version is kinda cheesy, you should definetly get the original as soon as it is released for modern systems.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

lol, it was odd how all the baddies AND you looked the exact same...
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Ken's Labyrinth? That's a great game. Dogbreath, I wasn't aware that there was a version of Ken's Lab other that the Epic version, which I assume is the one that is on DosGames.com...

Could you brief me on this subject?
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

In here it's Epic version. In Ken's site all o' 'em.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

this new version isnt anything like the older version i used to have... everything looks so much... better... :cry: i miss the older one. THat purply blob weapon at the start... used to look like a red ball hangin from da celing... oh well
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Wardrich: D/L http://icculus.org/LAB3D/full.html that. It should be a red jelly...
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Also, if you have trouble running it and dislike the new version (which sometimes crashes) download the BUILD sources for Ken's Lab. These allow you to play the ORIGINAL Ken's Lab (which was built by Ken Silverman who went on to create the BUILD engine) in any BUILD game. (Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc.)

http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab/klabuild.zip
Thrall
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Re: Ken's Labyrinth

Post by Thrall »

Dogbreath wrote:Just a quick note to all you people out there who like Ken's Lab but have trouble with sound/speed or lockups: Kens Labyrinth has recently been ported to modern operating systems! Pick up your copy of it at the <html><a href=http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm>Offical Ken's Lab Page</a></html>
Sorry for ressurecting but...

This is awsome! , time to review for eDOSgames.
UP WITH SONIC!
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Cheats

Post by Wally »

I have heard that you can press backspace to get more health in this game!!!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yes, but it's considered cheating so it reduces your score each time.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

And is useless in' Don't touch!' if started at ep. 1.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yeah, I don't usually even die until the end of ep 2...