DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Videogame Publishers: No Preserving Abandoned Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:39 pm     Post subject: Videogame Publishers: No Preserving Abandoned Games Reply with quote

ESA blocks attempt to improve legislation concerning video game archiving and preservation efforts:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/videogame-publishers-no-preserving-abandoned-games-even-museums-and-archives
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the ESA organization? Sometimes I get the feeling it's like a guy's part time job, and he just barks out "users are the number one enemy of software" anytime something hits the news. If he wasn't on the media call-for-opinion list, there'd be nothing to him at all but a crank website. And the lawyers, of course. <sigh>
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've heard they are known to take down stuff for real, and apparently they actually monitor users' activities and track down potential infringements.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:25 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know the lawyers and takedown requests, and pursue their client's viewpoint in "see what we can get away with" laywerly fashion. I just wasn't sure if they were anything more than that, or are just an umbrella for lawyer fees, or what exactly. Anyway, I'm sure I could research it if I cared, just the sleazy way they go about it is like Disney lawyers - gives a bad name via bad behavior to something I generally like, property rights for software producers.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not click on links. Would it be too much to ask for copy and paste of the article?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:02 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS Wolf wrote:
I do not click on links. Would it be too much to ask for copy and paste of the article?

That's our problem because?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:03 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS Wolf wrote:

But then you miss out on the information that they cite in it. It's a link straight from the EFF... what's wrong in clicking it?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:28 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the 1st time I'd want to strangle 'em at throut, shake and yell "&(/&%n' idiots!!!" (even though I don't play such games). I'm askin' again: Why doesn't game companies release theirold ones to free distribution or take back on sale. That's why abandonware and museums exists. If they'd do, they ma get more customers.[/img]
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:51 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:

I don't click links.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS Wolf wrote:
Wally wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:

I don't click links.

Not our problem so you miss out Laughing
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:
Wally wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:

I don't click links.

Not our problem so you miss out Laughing

I can't tell if you are truly trying to be a dick or not, so I'll let it pass. Confuzzled But now we are talking more on this than the actual subject matter so I guess I will leave it to you guys. Sarcastic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games