Death Knights of Krynn Help Please! - SOLVED!!!

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Death Knights of Krynn Help Please! - SOLVED!!!

Post by Crucible »

I have been trying for over 2yrs to get that game to work. I need serious help with it. I have always been bad at these things and never got any better at it. Its Windows Vista and I'm using DosBox. I just want to play the game, never got the chance 20+ years ago.
Last edited by Crucible on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thanks, its like Greek though. I'm not very adept at this. Pics aren't even showing...could you give some pointers?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's a very detailed step-by-step guide to DOSBox with pics:
http://www.howtogeek.com/104725/how-to- ... -old-apps/

Hope it helps!
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Yeah, that's the one I was using. Just can't get it to go. I'll keep trying though.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Crucible wrote:Just can't get it to go.
You need to explain exactly what you're doing, what results you expect and what actually happens.

Behind all the DOSBox setup, the essence of its use is very simple. DOSBox emulates an x86 machine that runs DOS. So to get a game working, you need to:

1. Install it.
2. Configure it to use sound hardware (if sound is supported by the game) and possibly controls.
3. Run it.

And prior to that, you have to designate a part of your actual filesystem to be recognized by DOSBox as a hard disk drive.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

I get stuck at configuring.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

If you want to get help you have to be specific. Preferably, post a screenshot of the error message that you get. (You can upload any image for free at imgur.com, the use the [img][/img] tags to post the image here.)
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thanks
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

The problem is me. I downloaded Dosbox, then the game. I go into the game program and just flat mess it up. I don't know where to start. I am good at a lot of things in life, DOS isn't one of them, neither is trying to mount anything. I just don't know how. I came back in '09 and just could never do it. Same now. There aren't any error messages, just me being DOS-illiterate.

I see the instructions and I'm like...okay I'm in the computer, but I don't see how to do ANY of that.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Do not worry. I failed much of the times in my life.

Some of the very few times I succeeded was stuffs like assembly language.

It just depends on what you are gifted in.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thanks tienkhoanguyen! I needed the laugh...lol! Thanks very much man, I mean that sincerely.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Crucible wrote:I see the instructions and I'm like...okay I'm in the computer, but I don't see how to do ANY of that.
Okay, the guide I linked to is probably not as simple as it could be.

I assume that you have installed DOSBox, right? Now you need a place where you will have your DOS games, and you need to have DOSBox recognize this as a hard disk.

On Windows it is generally recommended that you run DOSBox from somewhere where the system will not try to interfere with its functions. I suppose that you have a non-system partition or and/or a physical hard disk where you don't have any system files (usually C: is the system drive, everything else isn't).

Typical Windows setups have at least one non-system partition for user files.

So your first step would be to create a folder on your non-system partition (let's assume it has the drive letter D:) where you will install all DOS emulation related stuff.

Create a folder for your emulated DOS environment, for example, D:\DOS. Use the Start menu to open the DOSBox default configuration file. It should open on Notepad for editing. Scroll down to the end of the text where it says [autoexec]. This is the section for commands DOSBox will execute upon startup.

You want DOSBox to immediately mount D:\DOS as a hard disk drive, and switch to it every time it starts. To do this, add the following lines just beneath the [autoexec] line:

Code: Select all

mount c d:\dos -freesize 600
c:
Next time you start DOSBox, it will think that it has a C: drive which is 600 MiB in size. Thus DOSBox will recognize every file and folder you put into your actual D:\DOS folder on your PC. This way you can simply run a DOS game if it requires no installation.

However, I assume that the game you're trying to play needs to be installed first. Your next steps thus depend on what medium you have the game on. Is it a physical CD, a CD image, or a pre-installed warez copy?

In the meantime, here's a couple of useful commands that will help you navigate the DOS environment (you need to type a command and its arguments end press Enter):

cd [directory name]
go to a sub-directory from the current directory. For example, if you are on C: and there's a directory called C:\DOSGAMES, you need to type

cd dosgames
to switch to the DOSGAMES directory.

cd\
go to the root directory (C:) from the current directory.

cd..
go up one level on the directory tree. For example, if the current directory is C:\DOSGAMES\TETRIS, this command will take you back to C:\DOSGAMES.

cls
clear screen. This will clear all output currently on the screen.

dir
list current directory contents. This will bring up a list of files and folders in the current directory. There are two useful switches for this command:

dir /w
short list. This will arrange the directory and file names in several columns, thus fitting more names on a single screen. File information such as size and modify date will not be displayed.

dir /p
pause every screen. If the list takes more than one screen, each screen is displayed until the user presses a key, after which the next screen is displayed.

Hope this helps!
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thank you sir. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I absolutely have downloaded dosbox.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Its a downloaded game from abandonia
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thank you sir. You did a fantastic job and this should actually replace the old one. I just can't get it. But I do greatly appreciate you taking out the time to type all of that for an absolute stranger. Thanks again sir.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Remember this principle, God saved you always hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

I use programs from kind strangers who donate all the time.

Look at DOSBox 0.74 - it is freeware last I looked.

What about IMGBurn - I've been using that free for years.

Another one is Borland Turbo C 2.01 - freebie with registrations and terms.

So as you can see, take the good and leave the rest.

What good you can give back that you don't need you return the favor.

Thank you for laughing when I posted earlier.

It is not always a presence when someone has a genuine laugh
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

Thank you guys. I can't complain, there is just nothing I know about doing this. I'll just keep trying. Again tienkhoanguyen, you are much appreciated brother.
Crucible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Crucible »

That moment when you get frustrated has taken hold. Is there any other way to do this for us stupid guys?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Well, if plain DOS is confusing you, perhaps you could try a DOSBox front-end.
It makes the configuration part more like a menu, though the game still runs in DOS as usual.

You could look some over at:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends

(Personally, I'm using D-Fend Reloaded.)