Playing Doom with John Romero

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Playing Doom with John Romero

Post by MrFlibble »

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey plays through the first episode of Doom in co-op mode with none other than John Romero:
http://youtu.be/YUU7_BthBWM
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh .... Doom ..... the memories.

And still some kind of benchmarking soft to testrun a salvaged antique compy from the shredder.

However have to say when we organize a LAN weekend we'd rather run a Doom port on a modern system,.......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
BioMenace69

Post by BioMenace69 »

super cool :D
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Is he still any good? :) Sweet experience, no matter what!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:Is he still any good? :)
They certainly had a lot of fun :) And it's interesting to watch as well.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

He should have played a round of death match with Romero. If he won, he could legitimately tell people that he beat Doom. As any Doom fan knows, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCbUhRGpFw">To win the game, you must kill John Romero.</a> He said so himself!
Last edited by wardrich on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:..... As any Doom fan knows, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCbUhRGpFw">To win the game, you must kill John Romero.</a> He said so himself!
:huh:
.... and I always thought that first of all you had to survive the carnage ... ?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Fredo300

Post by Fredo300 »

Hahah remember when my older brother showed me this game :D although we started with Doom II (I do believe that our first computer purpose was ability to play Doom :laugh: 30 floppies + 486 ftw ! )
piotrassss

Post by piotrassss »

Yeah, Doom it's such classic in games as Mona Lisa in paintings..
nickherc

Post by nickherc »

Too bad they had a fallout with Romero. Daikatana was awful. Did Romero do any other games after Daikatana?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, it didn't really come together, but it tried to push the boundaries. I gave up in disgust after the demo, but tried again recently from Gog (I think) and it's not that bad as a retro game without all the expectations and hope for multiplayer greatness. But I didn't do more than dabble this time around, so could have missed ongoing suckyness. ;)

Moby's John Romero page lists some more recent work than Daikatana in 2000; I wonder if the later Doom work was just historical or if they patched up and he worked on it more? Eh, it's the xbox360 port of Doom II looks like, so almost certainly historical.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Quadko wrote:Yes, it didn't really come together, but it tried to push the boundaries. I gave up in disgust after the demo, but tried again recently from Gog (I think) and it's not that bad as a retro game without all the expectations and hope for multiplayer greatness. But I didn't do more than dabble this time around, so could have missed ongoing suckyness. ;)

Moby's John Romero page lists some more recent work than Daikatana in 2000; I wonder if the later Doom work was just historical or if they patched up and he worked on it more? Eh, it's the xbox360 port of Doom II looks like, so almost certainly historical.
Quadko, I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are still around. The place isn't quite the same without you.

As for John Romero - that is pretty cool about playing him.

As for his games not being any good, well they are all better mine. I don't think anyone can get any lower than mine.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton plays Doom with John Romero:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

John Romero gives lots of very interesting commentaries about game design, as well as various historical info.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Although John (I hope he appreciates me calling him by his first name since it is personal) made a game I am amazed with by the graphics rendering and speed, I just hate the darkness of it all. The only reason I know how good it is, is because I just roam the first level where you just teleport back to initial starting position. haha I also did look at the intro which was nice since I did not have to play the game itself.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

MrFlibble wrote:Game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton plays Doom with John Romero:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

John Romero gives lots of very interesting commentaries about game design, as well as various historical info.
God damn did I ever hate that level.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

wardrich wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:Game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton plays Doom with John Romero:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

God damn did I ever hate that level.
Which one? They play through the entire first episode. It's just that the 90s FPS level naming convention was used for the episode title (season 1, episode 5) :)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thank you Jesus! I have the ultimate breakthrough today. I was thinking how "lightning" fast my color changes are, and realize that is how QuakeOne must have been developed. It is all in pure assembly for the graphics portion. That is my humble theory anyways. However my personal experience is that I have already made my father and mother glad because I have broken the speed barrier in DOS hehe. I might not be the first however I have finally arrived. Thank you Jesus my parents bought me the ultimate language, "Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1". Luckily I sent in my registration card already like some time ago. I just hope they have not moved because the software is dated decades old. Borland's website is still activate however they are concerned with updated technology in their advertisements. If worst comes to worst, I will just have to write them a letter.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.