DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing Doom with John Romero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:07 am     Post subject: Playing Doom with John Romero Reply with quote

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey plays through the first episode of Doom in co-op mode with none other than John Romero:
http://youtu.be/YUU7_BthBWM
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh .... Doom ..... the memories.

And still some kind of benchmarking soft to testrun a salvaged antique compy from the shredder.

However have to say when we organize a LAN weekend we'd rather run a Doom port on a modern system,.......
BioMenace69

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:54 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

super cool Shit-Eating Grin
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still any good? Happy Sweet experience, no matter what!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadko wrote:
Is he still any good? Happy

They certainly had a lot of fun Happy And it's interesting to watch as well.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have played a round of death match with Romero. If he won, he could legitimately tell people that he beat Doom. As any Doom fan knows, To win the game, you must kill John Romero. He said so himself!

Last edited by wardrich on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

wardrich wrote:
..... As any Doom fan knows, To win the game, you must kill John Romero. He said so himself!

Confuzzled
.... and I always thought that first of all you had to survive the carnage ... ?
Fredo300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah remember when my older brother showed me this game Shit-Eating Grin although we started with Doom II (I do believe that our first computer purpose was ability to play Doom Laughing 30 floppies + 486 ftw ! )
piotrassss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:34 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Doom it's such classic in games as Mona Lisa in paintings..
nickherc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they had a fallout with Romero. Daikatana was awful. Did Romero do any other games after Daikatana?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:23 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it didn't really come together, but it tried to push the boundaries. I gave up in disgust after the demo, but tried again recently from Gog (I think) and it's not that bad as a retro game without all the expectations and hope for multiplayer greatness. But I didn't do more than dabble this time around, so could have missed ongoing suckyness. Wink

Moby's John Romero page lists some more recent work than Daikatana in 2000; I wonder if the later Doom work was just historical or if they patched up and he worked on it more? Eh, it's the xbox360 port of Doom II looks like, so almost certainly historical.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:37 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadko wrote:
Yes, it didn't really come together, but it tried to push the boundaries. I gave up in disgust after the demo, but tried again recently from Gog (I think) and it's not that bad as a retro game without all the expectations and hope for multiplayer greatness. But I didn't do more than dabble this time around, so could have missed ongoing suckyness. Wink

Moby's John Romero page lists some more recent work than Daikatana in 2000; I wonder if the later Doom work was just historical or if they patched up and he worked on it more? Eh, it's the xbox360 port of Doom II looks like, so almost certainly historical.

Quadko, I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are still around. The place isn't quite the same without you.

As for John Romero - that is pretty cool about playing him.

As for his games not being any good, well they are all better mine. I don't think anyone can get any lower than mine.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton plays Doom with John Romero:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

John Romero gives lots of very interesting commentaries about game design, as well as various historical info.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Although John (I hope he appreciates me calling him by his first name since it is personal) made a game I am amazed with by the graphics rendering and speed, I just hate the darkness of it all. The only reason I know how good it is, is because I just roam the first level where you just teleport back to initial starting position. haha I also did look at the intro which was nice since I did not have to play the game itself.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

John Romero gives lots of very interesting commentaries about game design, as well as various historical info.

God damn did I ever hate that level.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:25 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

wardrich wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:
Devs Play S01E05 - Doom

God damn did I ever hate that level.

Which one? They play through the entire first episode. It's just that the 90s FPS level naming convention was used for the episode title (season 1, episode 5) Happy
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:09 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

E4M2: Perfect Hatred.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Thank you Jesus! I have the ultimate breakthrough today. I was thinking how "lightning" fast my color changes are, and realize that is how QuakeOne must have been developed. It is all in pure assembly for the graphics portion. That is my humble theory anyways. However my personal experience is that I have already made my father and mother glad because I have broken the speed barrier in DOS hehe. I might not be the first however I have finally arrived. Thank you Jesus my parents bought me the ultimate language, "Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1". Luckily I sent in my registration card already like some time ago. I just hope they have not moved because the software is dated decades old. Borland's website is still activate however they are concerned with updated technology in their advertisements. If worst comes to worst, I will just have to write them a letter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games