Guess The Game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Guess The Game

Post by DOS Wolf »

I like guessing games, although sadly I am not very well versed in DOS, so I am at a disadvantage at this site. However, I am pretty good at consoles, arcades, pinball, etc. I figured others like to do the same thing, so I am going to make a game of my own here in the forums.

(Not so) Quick run down of the rules.

-The person in charge in the beginning gives one to three clues to what game (including DOS) they want others to guess. You must put at the very top of the post “Clue: Such and such...”. After a day or two you give another clue and continue in that fashion until someone guesses right. The clues need not be too obvious, but nothing too abstract either. You could say for instance it is an arcade or NES game. The game has three buttons or has a dog in it. The main character was a male or had a dragon. Be aware- if you are in charge of giving clues, you HAVE to know the game you are talking about. You can not “think” the game had a feature when it really did not. (This does not include arcade machines that had different features due to limitations on space. Some games went from four to two players cabinets or sit down racing game cabinets went to standing room only versions.) Other wise you would be giving false clues and that is no fun. Research your game before you pick it to make sure you have all valid clues.

-The game chosen must have been available to the American public, (As in sold, not an import or PAL version, etc.) not something that was a Japanese or European exclusive. Although some of us may know about European games, most wont know about Japanese ones or vice verse. Also if a game was for multiple regions, such as for America and Japan, the clues must be about the American version, since some changes were usually made between the two.

The quickest thing off the top of my head is using a clue for the game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Saying the game cover had a picture of a pale looking male with long hair and a sword would not help anyone. The American version had a picture of a castle with a full moon. (However, this does not hamper the discussion of games from other versions and I think we could have lengthy and interesting discussions about them. And the fact that the cover art itself was changed could be an enlightening and lengthy discussion all it's own.)

-Each person may only guess once per clue. Make sure you put the Guess at the very top of your post, labeled “Guess: Name of Game...” so others can clearly see it. Do not make it hidden some where in the middle and hard to find or if you get it wrong you may not edit your post. (The initial clue or clues from one to three, may only be guessed at once for each person.)

-The guess comes from experience, not searching the net for the clues given. If you do not know the name of the game you think it is, that is ok. But to just search and search is not the right way to play the game. You are not winning anything anyway, just maybe bragging rights or more to the point, fun remembrance.

-Once the game is guessed correctly and confirmed by the person giving the clues, the power switches to the person who guessed right or he or she can pass it to another if they do not wish to give any clues.

-This is not the place to ask for help finding a game, although I am sure if this is done right, we will have a lot to talk about and maybe reminisce old games and search them out ourselves.

-This is also not a place to just spout nonsense.

If I could edit posts myself I could make this game/thread look cleaner by allocating clues, responses, etc. But I do not have the power so please try to keep this thread neat and orderly and as I said the clues and guesses must be the very first thing mentioned in a post. I would like to ask if you are going to make a general comment you must also try giving a guess, but since I am not sure how this will turn out I will hold back for now. It is also the responsibility of the players to search all previous posts to make sure that the game you are going to mention is not the wrong one already guessed at. I will make the final decision on what rules or things can be done, minus the mods of course who have the ultimate say, but I want this to be a fun experience.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Clue: This is an arcade game and later ported to home consoles. It was a four player cabinet. (I can already think of the guess you are going to give and the first few probably wont be it...)

2nd Clue: An all male cast/main characters.

3rd Clue: The game had a stampede/running of the bulls.

4th Clue: Had a mini game of shooting outlaws like a shooting gallery. Your cross hair would appear when moving it in any of the eight directions- up, right, diagonal bottom left, etc.

:no: Golden Axe

:no: Gauntlet

:no: NBA Jam

:no: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Winner: Wardrich

Answer: Sunset Riders
Last edited by DOS Wolf on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

About time! What took you so long!? ^_^

Yes Sunset Riders. One of my fondest arcade games, four player, ported to consoles (Although it was only two players obviously.), all male cast, stampede/cattle run (literally over the top of them) and of course that mini game with cross hairs. My next two clues were going to be two rolled up in one, two guys with two pistols and two guys with shotguns as well as it being an Old Western. After that I would of just given you the answer. :angel:

Ok, your turn. B)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Removed all the old guesses to try to keep this thread clean.

Okay, so I've got my game in mind here...

<b>Clue 1: This early adventure game starts when your character wakes up in a dingy bathroom. Aside from a small injection mark, he has no idea what exactly happened... or who he is.</b>

<b>Winner:</b> DOS Wolf
<b>Answer:</b> Deja Vu
Last edited by wardrich on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Deja Vu and it was a detective game the likes of Uninvited and Shadowgate. :jester:

I was hoping to keep all those pages though. More pages usually makes at least the new person poke their head in. At the moment there is really only two or three playing.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:Deja Vu and it was a detective game the likes of Uninvited and Shadowgate. :jester:

I was hoping to keep all those pages though. More pages usually makes at least the new person poke their head in. At the moment there is really only two or three playing.
You got it! Deja Vu, Shadowgate, and The Uninvited are 3 of my all-time favourite games. I wish they'd make more like them. On that note, the original team for Shadowgate recently reformed as "Zojoi" and released a complete redo of Shadowgate. <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/294440/">Check it out on Steam</a>.

Sorry about the clean-sweep. I'll keep them in here from now on!
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Ehhh it's alright. Maybe it will look cleaner this way. I don't know. At least you kept the previous game up... maybe that is the best way to do it. Enough games played and we will have a few pages anyway. Then again we could have 150 pages. But I do enjoy the reminiscing as much as the actual game guessing it self though so maybe keep the pages... :devil: I will pass the torch to Wally or Q if they like. They can flip for it. Either that or I will go again. :jester:

I do not like the NES version of Deja Vu. Scrolling the pointer takes way too long. I think there may be a button to speed it up slightly, but still too slow. I could of sworn the Game Boy Advance version, which I think had all three or at least two of those games on one cartridge, had it where you could press a button (Select I think...) to make it jump to the next sub folder.

I like Deja Vu since because of it's "era", early 1900's, while Uninvited is like a haunted house of sorts. Shadowgate is ehhh... I did not like the torch as a life bar that is always winding down. Do not go fast enough and you run out of all of them and you die, simply from being left in the dark and automatically falling down some where and dieing. And I think the inventory of that game was a pain as well.

I enjoyed the newer version, Shadowgate64, but I got stuck. Also it was a bit of a let down in graphics. They were decent in themselves, but the colors dark and bland which made it harder to play than it should be.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Shadowgate was the first one I ever played. The music gave me nightmares as a kid, but now I really appreciate just how fantastic it really is.

Deja Vu was the second one I played, a few years later. I found it was much harder, but the story was pretty awesome.

I was unaware of The Uninvited until 10+ years later when the advent of ROMs really made a boom. It was then that I was able to find it and finally complete the last of its kind. I felt it was somewhat amateurish and could never really understand the random dying that happened in that game. I'll have to re-play it sometime I guess.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Haha. I remember dying in Uninvited after the first couple of game screens. I would say what did it, but I am sure you already know and I do not want to ruin it for others. (The same as the cover art as I recall.) Now that had some nice graphics for it's game type anyway and darn right creepy.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Hey I died in uninvited too giving my life away in the game. I was worth it though. I loved my friend in that game.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

:suspicious: Just waiting on Wally and Q to see who wants to be the clue giver. ;)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Ok.. You start out the front of a house and you have to click into rooms where there's things that may scare the crap out of you. dosraider and I used to joke about it.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

The only thing I can think of and this is most likely not it, is Haunted House.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Hugo's House of Horrors?
Wally

Post by Wally »

NOPE AND NOPE
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Alrighty... I think we need another clue... ;)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Okay because i've made you wait i'm giving 2 clues
The game was originally a trilogy but this year a fresh version came out from the "grave" adding more episodes.

Game had an inventory based system with mouse input for clicking to different rooms and doors.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

The Chzo Mythos? I had to look up the name, I knew the games 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic, but not what the series it self was called.
Wally

Post by Wally »

NOPE
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Alone in the dark?