Jazz Jackrabbit in DOSbox [Win 8]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Carley

Jazz Jackrabbit in DOSbox [Win 8]

Post by Carley »

I can run jazz.exe without a problem, but all it gives me is a screen saying "run setup to select your soundcard" and then bumps me back to the dos screen. I run setup.exe, the only options are "select sound card," "instructions," and "save and exit." Instructions just makes the screen kind of blip but stay on the same thing, and the only option in "select sound card" is exit, which brings me back to the main menu.

Cue four unnecessary repititions of setup.exe, select sound card, exit, save and exit, jazz.exe, bounced back, setup.exe, rinse, repeat. I made sure nothing was marked read-only and read the help file, but that didn't solve it. And now I'm here. Any ideas?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Jazz Jackrabbit in DOSbox

Post by dosraider »

Hello,
Carley wrote: Any ideas?
With the info you provided: nope.
Please read the pinned howto that suits your system.
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

If you still need help provide some more info, as is:
OS?
Dosbox version?
All your mount lines-inputs?
Game: original? downloaded?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Carley

Post by Carley »

I'm on Windows 8. Dosbox is version 74, the most recent. What are mountlines and inputs? Is that the commands I put into dosbox?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, you can either type them in at the z:\> prompt, or put them in dosbox.conf file [autoexec] section (and other sections). Big picture, Here is some documentation on dosbox.conf; and we can help some, and we have some sticky Dosbox Setup threads like this one on Windows 7 & 8 to help.

so, you probably type something like 'mount c: .\MyGames' or something; it'd be helpful to know that info.

As for the problem, it sounds like the setup program either isn't detecting sound cards or is missing config file/crashing during detection, because I would have expected a 'no sound' option no matter what.

If I get a chance, I'll try to set it up tonight and see how far I get doing the same things. :) Do you have the official disk version, a demo version, or just downloaded from site or friend? That'll help narrow the scenario down, perhaps.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

For win8 : please read and apply the link Quadko provided (important, yes)
Download game (shareware) from dosgames.com
Unzip all that's in the archive (78 files) into
c:\users\your name\oldgames\jazz
run dosbox , inputs are:

mount c: c:\users\your name\oldgames\
cd jazz
setup

Here you choose soundcard, to know SoundBlaster 16 stereo,
accept (yes) settings.
The prog will leave you in c:\jazz
input jazz to start game.

Next time you wanna play:
mount c: c:\users\your name\oldgames\
cd jazz
jazz

That's bout it.
Last edited by dosraider on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Carley

Post by Carley »

Okay, well, I don't really know what I changed in the config file to make it work, but it seems to be working now. I had read that before but didn't understand it at all, it either didn't link that wiki page about what I was looking for or I missed said link. I'm pretty sure all I did was add my mount lines and change autolock (for the mouse) to false. But here are my mountlines anyway:

mount c c:\GOGGames\oldgames
c:
setup.exe (or) jazz.exe
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

It's working? Good job, no worries then! But if I misunderstood, let us know and we'll keep taking a look.