DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Strange DOS 6.22 Issue

Rodimus80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm     Post subject: Strange DOS 6.22 Issue Reply with quote

When I create a directory called "C:\DRIVERS\CDROM", I am unable to access it. Shoots me an error "invalid directory" Any folder called "CDROM" shoots back that error. I'm stumped.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose another dir name.....

falls under "yep shit happens"
Rodimus80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very weird. I'm blaming it on the CPU. I have other DOS machines and I have never seen this.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there isn't a /drivers/cdrom/ installed by some external prog?
Flagged read only-sys-hidden?

Whatever, if you ever find out why let us know. Laughing
Rodimus80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:42 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how. My process of building a DOS 6.22 PC is "format c: /s" Then I make 4 directories. MOUSE, CDROM, SBBASIC, and CTCM. Copy over drivers from a self-made Driver CD. Nothing is different this time. Not too mention that on the Driver CD is a folder called CDROM too and it gives me the same error. I've used a IDE HDD with a 500MB partition and a CF Card 256MB. Both have the same problem and both were in different machines at one time. Frustratingly odd.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird? Yes.
Strange? Yes.

And yet I won't let my sleep for it.

As said before: shit happens.

Catched an old dos virus?
Rodimus80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught an old virus? lol Wouldn't that be something.
Rodimus80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to resolve this but I think I have narrowed it down. It seems when the CDROM driver is loaded in config.sys, it makes all folders named CDROM unreadable. Very weird.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Makes sense, actually. DOS checks device names before directory names, and both devices and directories use the same "file" access APIs. Reading/writing data from a device is the same as from a file, since the disk is really just another device...

Ergo, if your cdrom device driver is loaded, it will mask any directory of that same name. There are a few other similar names that are blocked for that reason, not 100% sure what they are, but things like CON and PRN.

I'm not certain, but it's possible you can rename the actual CD device driver in-memory name as a commandline arg to the config sys or autoexec driver. If you really want a "cdrom" directory, it might be worth a try or some research. Then name it cdrom1 or banana or asdfqwer, and *that* name will be blocked instead. As I recall, you specify that in the driver and in the mscdex commandlines, but it's been a loooong time, so ymmv.

I think I recall a generic cdrom driver boot disk that tried to load a bunch of common drivers and named them all banana; that covered access for like 80% of the drives out there but it took me too long to figure the banana thing out - just a silly unlikely name.

Actually, I think the problem still exists in Windows. I was getting a weird bug testing some software, and we tracked it down to this bizarre and obscure (but documented) behavior; that's how I know about it. That's what I get for trying to name the print-to-file output directory PRN. Sarcastic During our research, we found out it went back to Dos 1.0, and may be true in CP/M and Unix as well.

Hope that helps, sorry for the tl;dr history lesson. Shit-Eating Grin
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense Quadko.

For those interested:
CDRom drivers need config.sys and autoexec.bat comm lines.

Basic CD driver +'device name' config.sys:
example:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\cdrom.sys /D:name001
/d: defines driver name

Must match with autoexec.bat mscdex
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:name001 /l:D
/d: must match config.sys name.
If more than one CD drive should be : name001 - name002 - etcetera....
/l: drive letter

Pour moi, never had a CD driver who was named as 'CDROM', still a weird idea, 'bananas' on the other hand, plenty of them........
Also lots of 'MSCD001' -002-003 ........, when used in multi CD-DVD drive systems, keeps things a bit sorted out.

Rodimus80, if you wanna keep that 'cdrom' device name simply add a number, something as 'cdrom01' ... whatever suits you.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dosraider! I'm glad you've got the details, that should help a lot.

And it brings back memories. "mscd001" - I sure remember that in particular. And Oak cdrom drivers. Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1