SODA Off-Road Racing: Anyone know where to find it for DOS?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
travlemon

SODA Off-Road Racing: Anyone know where to find it for DOS?

Post by travlemon »

Hello,

SODA Off-Road Racing is one of my favorite racing games of all time! It's exactly the type of racing game I love to play, will run on just about any computer, and has a great track designer for its day.

Problem is, it crashes frequently on Windows 7 when I race with computer opponents, even when using any of the compatibility modes. In this case, I bought 2 different CD copies of the game, looking to get the DOS version. To my surprise, the DOS version was not included at all on either CD.

Now, there is definitely a DOS version somewhere in the world, as any site with a description of the game always mentions DOS as well as Win95/98. Also, the one CD copy I purchased actually has a CD logo on the cover which says "Windows 95/MS-DOS".

So my question is...what's the deal? Does anyone know where I can obtain the DOS version? It would definitely suit me better than the Windows version. I've Googled my brains out and can't seem to find a purchasable copy of it.

Thank you!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Not so sure about that 'MsDos' statement.
It's up on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SODA-Off-Road-R ... 5d3fbd293a
No mention of any dos version ...............

Maybe you shouldn't believe all you read on teh intehnet, sometimes it takes only one idiot to post a claim to get a waterfall of wrong info allover the net ......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MobyGames does not mention any platform besides Windows. This fact doesn't mean that there's absolutely no chance of the game having had a DOS release though.

As for the logo thing on the copy you have, if it doesn't have a DOS version on that CD then it was just a mistake of the publisher to put the Win95/MS-DOS tag on the cover.
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

Yeah I guess there is no DOS version. The biggest thing that held me back from dismissing it was the logo on the CD cover itself. I guess I'll have to try to run the game inside Windows 95 on DOSBox, if that's even possible.

The game appears to run fine otherwise on 7, just crashes. Thanks for the info!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

My advise would be trying to run it in VPC2007+W98SE.
However, if the game needs a full 3D videcard it probably will refuse, if it has a software mode you have a chance.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.