Imperium Galactica

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Kampuf

Post by Kampuf »

I've got ISO's for disk 1 and 2.

When I tried to mount the image I got this message

C:\>imgmount c IMP1 -t iso
Image file not found

I know it's an ISO and that I can read all the contents if I use WinRar but that's about it
Kampuf

Cannot mount ISO image

Post by Kampuf »

Kampuf wrote:I've got ISO's for disk 1 and 2.

Image file not found

I know it's an ISO and that I can read all the contents if I use WinRar but that's about it
I probably should add I did make the Virtual C drive but I thought I already had one, chances are I did and didn't know it or didn't understand the significance of it
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Kampuf wrote:I've got ISO's for disk 1 and 2.

Image file not found

Ai ai ai ai, pffffffff ....

Did you read my post?
You do NOT mount the CDs as C: but as D:
You do mount correctly a virtual C: first.

Now listen, I gonna repeat myself, please follow the advise.
dosraider wrote:
Kampuf wrote:I hope you enjoy a challenge, I'm no coder, but I've read through this forum and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
You don't need to be a coder to get games running in dosbox, just follow the instructions, it's kinda simple in fact.
Brings us to:
Kampuf wrote:OS: Windows 7

Mount Lines: mount d c:/OldGames
d:
INSTALL.exe
Euuurgghhh, no, not good, you need a virtual C: , as you're on Win 7 read and apply this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511
Kampuf wrote: I guess since it's a torrented file you'll just brush this one under the carpet but please if you can help me or give me a link to the right files it would be very much appriciated.
Can't give you a link, but we don't really care here where you got it, if we can help we will, however there are some details we need to know, as is:
You say you downloaded a 'file', what exactly? A CD image????
Kinda hard to tell you what to do without knowing what you have in hands.

If you don't have a valid ISO or BIN/CUE CD image, you'll have to google for one, or find a valid CD image on the torrents. (Once again: you're on your own to find it).

Once you have a valid CD image, it's pretty simple and straightforward, use the imgmount command line in dosbox and from there:
that is once you have read and applied the virtual C: mount as I linked you to!
dosraider wrote: d:
install

You will get an install screen, click on 'install game, this should be the result:

Hover with your mouse as in the next pic click on it and next hit enter, accept c:\imperium, you must get a screen indicating the files are copied to the harddisk:

Next step still in the install screen, click on autodetect sound, should detect SB with the appropiate settings, run a test, now you will see that you can save the configuration.
As here:

Save and exit, you will see a c:\imperium prompt.
input
imperium
to play.

Now if you close / restart dosbox and wanna play:
Mount your CD again as D and your inputs will be
That is of course if you have followed ALL the instructions !!!

cd imperium
imperium
The imgmount command works as this:
imgmount d x:\path\name.iso -t cdrom

Let say that you have the CD imeges, named cd1.iso and cd2.iso in
c:\users\your name\isos\cd1.iso and
c:\users\your name\isos\cd2.iso
Then your command line should be:
imgmount d "c:\users\your name\isos\cd1.iso" "c:\users\your name\isos\cd2.iso" -t cdrom
Mind the ""
Switch between the CDs when asked with CTRL+F4.
Last edited by dosraider on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Sluggo, You'll find yours @ http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16931
I thought a topic split was needed ....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

Dosraider you still there? I am having complications with Imperium Galactica. For some reason when i do DOSBOX on this line:

imgmount d c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue -t iso

d:
install

i get to the install screen and click install and get told i am needing 64megabytes data free.

I use XP and have over 10gig free space. Where am i missing the dosbox database for getting more free space?
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

another note to add:

I am trying to run Imperium Galactica in D-Fend Reloaded but no luck on how to set it up for swapping disks unless you set up the disk files in 2 folders then reopen the game on the second folder when it asks for it.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Dosbox version?
All your mount lines? And I mean all of them ....
Missing your virtual C mount line here ..... you did mount a virtual C did you?

Also:
ironnails wrote:imgmount d c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue -t iso
Doesn't look as:
dosraider wrote:imgmount d "c:\users\your name\isos\cd1.iso" "c:\users\your name\isos\cd2.iso" -t cdrom
As posted 2 posts above your post !!!

You missed the " " and it's -t cdrom now.
Last edited by dosraider on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

dosraider,

Actually my MAIN problem is that i have "0 bytes free" within the dos part area. i know i'm missing something but i cant figure out what i'm missing. what i gave you i have as my mount even in the DOSBox 0.74 Options file

DOSBox Version: 0.74
Mount line: imgmount c c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue -t iso

That is ALL the mount line i used. and as your earlier posts showed using " " within the command line, i get a DOSBox error as NO virtual C drive mounted. BUT if i DROP the " " and write the mount line as i just stated then it will properly mount.

as i did state tho i dont have that "virtual C hard drive" :(. D-Fend reloaded does all that but doesnt seem to LIKE setting up 2 CDs on interchanging them within the game itself.

error for my game is when C is mounted: 0 bytes for free space.
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

D'OH! i didnt know it was CDrom! :( checking and changin it out now!
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

ya WITH the " " marks added within the dosbox options file it doesnt work... BUT once i drop the " " marks i GET the MSCDEX installed. and its still the same IF i did iso OR cdrom.

Still get 0 bytes free for that C:. ok WHAT am i missing to add a virtual hard drive space within DOSBox? I KNOW i'm missing something within that DOSBox 0.74 options and i've looked at all your files and no one seems to be having that problem
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

dosraider,

HOW do i do a image on here? i'll show you what happens when i get to the Install screen. for some reason i'll get the same install as what you are posting BUT then everything bugs up and i get this rolling rainbow color along with bytes (letters/numbers) going all over the install screen.

Probably showing you that install screen on it being messed up would answer your question on what i'm doing wrong.

I can NOT move my mouse over to highlight C:/imperium, does not show up.
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

grrrrr, blast i keep trying to use those " " marks as yous state but its just not taking.

The image must be on a host or local drive.

that is the error code i am getting in dosbox right now.

mount line: imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue" -t cdrom

i dont believe you really need to have 3 directories before finding the CUE or ISO file to mount up. i have my files on my internal hard drive C:\games\ig1 and also a external hard drive (which dosbox does not accpet) at least i havent figured out how to get access to that one either.

I'm sure if i can get my full hard drive usage or somehow add hard drive space within dosbox this would run smoothly.
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

THANK YOU DOSRAIDER!!!!! i needed to ADD that EXTRA mount line!

Mount g c:\games\ig1
imgmount d c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue -t cdrom

i can NOT add in the " " marks on that imgmount line it keeps on getting a error code as i stated earlier in my rants.

i GOT my 262mbyte hard drive space tho :). wish me luck on getting this ta FINALLY work! woooot, thx again dosraider!
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

ok, dosraider, got a question on playability on dosbox for the IG game.

I'm still getting a 30second to 3min freeze out. here are the error codes:

illegal read from 9604fa59, CS:IP 3a7: 3242
illegal read from 9604fa5a, CS:IP 3a7: 3242

any help to stop this would be extremely helpful. if you need to move this to another spot please let me know
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

ironnails wrote:THANK YOU DOSRAIDER!!!!! i needed to ADD that EXTRA mount line!

Mount g c:\games\ig1
imgmount d c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue -t cdrom

i can NOT add in the " " marks on that imgmount line it keeps on getting a error code as i stated earlier in my rants.

i GOT my 262mbyte hard drive space tho :). wish me luck on getting this ta FINALLY work! woooot, thx again dosraider!
:blah:
Is wrong.
Should be:

Mount c c:\games\
imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue" "c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue" -t cdrom

But here I also would advise not to use the game folder to store your CD images, more something as:
c:\games\isos\
Better don't mix up stuffs.

Use C and the "" (yes, yes,yes, blah blah, if it doesn't work you're making typos, it works for everyone, I used on Win PCs, Linux PCs, on more PCs than I can remember, so if doesn't work for you it's simply because you screw up somewhere..... :laugh:

Now about this one:
ironnails wrote:ok, dosraider, got a question on playability on dosbox for the IG game.

I'm still getting a 30second to 3min freeze out. here are the error codes:

illegal read from 9604fa59, CS:IP 3a7: 3242
illegal read from 9604fa5a, CS:IP 3a7: 3242

any help to stop this would be extremely helpful. if you need to move this to another spot please let me know
Hmmmm, that's another matter.
You created BIN/CUE images with MagicIso, why BIN/CUE? Why not simply ISO? There are no music tracks, it's not a mixed mode CD, so :why?
It should work flawless, even with BIN/CUE images, but to exclude eventual error from that side, create simple ISOs from your CDs and try again.

Also I would advise you to use ImgBurn, freeware and 100% dosbox compatible:
http://www.imgburn.com/
(careful when installing, so that you don't end up with extra toolbars on ya browser, ads pay for that stuff)

Also²:
Maybe start reading this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5443
Dosbox and XP basic howto, how to mount correctly a virtual C, and NOT A 'G' as you did .......

To conclude:
First of all: delete what you've done till now, it's useless as it doesn't work, and keeping trying to proceed on flawed stuff is futile.
Your G mount is plain wrong, so delete installed IG folder and start over.
Create new CD images.
Begin with those points, correct them where needed and your game should run flawless in dosbox.
Be also sure to apply the correct game setup settings....

It's of course possible that your CDs are corrupted or scratched, can't say I like those error messages, that's why I advise ImgBurn as it does a good data check and creates dosbox compatible images, if they are borked, now yeah, say "shit happens" .....

Also: you have an 'edit' button to add stuffs on your last post, this is a forum, not a chatbox nor twitter ......

[Edit / ah well, whilst I'm here anyway .... ]
Also²:
Maybe also read this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about13440.html
It's about using dosbox on external drives, works fine .....

Also³
If you know how to write batch files, you can put that imgmount line in a batch file stored on your dosbox virtual C , give it a simple name, something as igmount , after starting dosbox simply input that batches name to get ya CD image stuff mounted.
Last edited by dosraider on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironnails

imperium galactica

Post by ironnails »

mount lines:
mount c c:\games\
imgmount d c:\games\ig1\ig1.iso c:\games\ig1\ig2.iso -t cdrom

did Imgburn to make ISO files of my CDs and running the intro of the game is VERY smooth but gameplay is still the same. Still getting the same error code in dosbox on the illegal read

IS there a way to add a screen copy on here as you did for the install and the dosbox screens? everytime i type this line:

imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.iso c:\games\ig1\ig2.iso" -t cdrom

I get this line in dosbox:

The image must be on a host or local drive

as i stated i'd love to be able to show this to you so you can point out i'm missing a space or a \ or a : or something that dosbox is not accepting those " " marks within that line. in other words PLEASE tell me what i'm doing wrong.

You are right about the external hard drive aspect. i just did not do the mount line properly.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

To capture a screenshot of said error message in dosbox:
CTRL+F5
Screenshot is stored in PNG format.
Where it's stored depends of where 'captures' is set in dosbox config under header [dosbox]

To post the screenie here (as on every other forum ....) :
Upload to an image host and put the link in your post.

One of many many: http://www.imagebam.com/

And to repeat myself, still think it's a bad idea to use the game folder to store your CD images, better change that, something as:
c:\games\isos\ig1.iso would be better.

Could you also put your inputs to run the game ?

About the " " error, don't know what's going on here, you tell me you don't make typos and still getting that error message, very weird, could be a keyboard setting/SDL fault....?
What you can try:
add the imgmount line with the " " in dosbox config under [autoexec] as last line. (dosbox restart needed)
Would also like to know what message you get when you use that imgmount line without the "" , do you get 'limited support' respons?

Last thing I can tell you is that the game itself runs fine in dosbox 0.74, as you can read in the (many) previous posts, so something goes completely wrong with your game/game CDs/ installation.

[Edit]
Made typoz myself .... :laugh:
Correct mount line should be:
imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.cue" "c:\games\ig1\ig2.cue" -t cdrom
That will certainly work.
Need to separate them images with extra "" .... mind the space between them ""
Sorry for the confusion.

[Edit²]
Any idea about the version you have? There are several, mine is vers1.3, but there is also an older release: vers1.1 and that one is pretty buggy ......
You can check the version in a readme on the first CD.
It's possible that if you have the older version you'll need to increase dosbox internal mem size to 32 or even 64, you do so in dosbox conf file under header [dosbox]
memsize=32
or
memsize=64
Try first with 32, and more than 64 is useless, dos can't work with more than 64 MB.
But it shouldn't be needed if you have ver 1.3, the default 16MB is more than enough.
Also keep in mind that some games will refuse to run on 32 or 64 MB ....
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

Ok, i have the program working now but need to keep music turned down to the off position to make it work, aaand YES that line WORKS :)

imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.iso" "c:\games\ig1\ig2.iso" -t cdrom

DOSBox 0.74 Options file:

memsize=64
core=dynamic
cputype=20000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
ems=false
[autoexec area]
mount c c:\games\
imgmount d "c:\games\ig1\ig1.iso" "c:\games\ig1\ig2.iso" -t cdrom

all other lines are same as default

do NOT remember how to check for version. it is the original CD soooo, think it'd be version 1.1. I have tried it in the past with version 1.3 (US) and still get the same glitching/bugs if i turn up/on the music with sound effects.

hopefully i'm adding the pictures right so you can see the dosbox captured pics of that line with and without " " marks.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/6ca193262601081
http://www.imagebam.com/image/81515b262601082[/img]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

ironnails wrote: core=dynamic
cputype=20000
ems=false
CPUTYPE=20000
???? Care to explain this?
This is not a valid dosbox0.74 value for cputype.
Should be 'auto' for IG

Also: core=dynamic can cause problems, try auto first, if errors still persist try core=normal or simple (can slow down a bit...)

The music should be ok, do you use the normal dosbox sound settings and the correct sound setup in the game?

EMS=FALSE
Whilst advised for IG in the older dosbox versions it shouldn't be needed in 0.74, "ems=true" should work fine.

What you eventually could try if your ver is 1.1 is to run the game in dosbox CVS, those CVS builds have some extra bugfixes and things added.
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

Would also like to know your inputs to launch the game .......
ironnails

Post by ironnails »

sorry wrong typying for cputype.

core=dynamic
cputype=pentium_slow
cycles=20000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

should have just did a copy and paste here. changing it back to EMS=true

also when i try out the SB16 in the install screen

http://www.imagebam.com/image/bb767e262604843

for some reason IF i do DMA 1 i get NO sound at all. so, any help there would be phenomenal. i'll try it with your core=auto with the cycles being 20000.

i really think its the sound card. when i play it with no music and just sound effects it works fine.