Daggerfall

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Cornelius

Daggerfall

Post by Cornelius »

I downloaded DOSBox and downloaded The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall file "dagrfall.zip" then moved to a folder "DOSGAMES" on my harddrive. And there are two files in that file: DAGGER and DFCD. Now, I was able to mount DOSBox on to the DAGGER file and wanted to run "DAG213.EXE" the message states that will change the version of Daggerfall and should be done the subdirectory DAGGERFALL?
And after mounting DFCD I'm able to run INSTALL.EXE and the game is pulled up and I was able to go through initial installation questions, but, then after those steps I was prompted to hit enter and the screen returned to DOSBox with a message stating "the game CD was not in the drive and please insert disk and try again"????
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Probably you just need to follow the instructions in DosBox.com's HowTo Install Daggerfall.

We'll need some more info if that doesn't work, but it sounds like you probably didn't mount the cd directory "perfectly" so the install program was happy. Your mount like should look something like this one from the above link "mount as cd" "mount with label Daggerfa":
mount D C:\DFCD -t cdrom -label Daggerfa
I haven't tried the official download, but a few years ago I got the original CD working OK. It should just be the small issue of setting up DosBox mounts correctly.
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

So, I do need the original CD in order to play? Or can I download the game from "DOS Games Archive"?

I can't seem to find my original CD ($$$),
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Daggerfall is still supported by Bethesda and free to download from "The Elder Scrolls":
http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

If you have problems getting the game to run in dosbox good news:
You can get it in a complete package 'ready to run' bundled with DBGL
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr ... esdownload
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Cornelius

Setup

Post by Cornelius »

ignore my last post please. I have read up, and I'll try again. Thanx
Cornelius

elderscrolls.com

Post by Cornelius »

I tried entering thier website yesterday but had a mistype on the month of my birth because my number lock was not on. So, the website states access denied, still does today. I don't know how to gain access?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

What website are you talking about????

And also: don't they have a 'contact us' or similar link?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Cornelius

DBGL

Post by Cornelius »

Earlier I was referring to Elderscrolls.com website had denied me access for the mistype.

But now I have gone to bundle with DBGL and have DBGL folder on my OS(C:) drive and the daggerfall.dbgl Compressed (zipped) Folder saved to my username\downloads\daggerfall.dbgl

I have opened my DOSBox v0.74 and have the Z:\> prompt
But I'mnot sure what to enter or so next?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

DBGL doesn't run directly from your default dosbox install but from DBGL's own interface

Please, please read the instructions on their page:
DBGL website wrote: GamePackArchives
The following game pack archives can be imported into DBGL using the menu: File->Import...
Please note that you should not extract these archives. Just store the game.dbgl.zip file somewhere on your disk, and let DBGL import it. Enjoy the games!
More help if needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQDnYSA ... re=related
And even more help if needed:
http://bentrubewriter.wordpress.com/201 ... ree-games/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Wow, I didn't knwo about the bundles that are available for the DOSBox Game Launcher (well, I wasn't aware of this frontend until now too). Not that I like frontends or bundles, but this sure is a nice way to introduce the magic of DOS games to a wide audience ^_^
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

DBGL is certainly one of the better dosbox frontends (together with DFend-Reloaded).

Personally I never use a frontend and am not a fan of it, I will always try to bring even absolute beginners to the default dosbox installation/configuration to run their games.
Frontends usually add an extra layer of problems, and make it harder to try out nitpicking games, for testing purposes they are worthless ...

But sometimes, once in a while when I feel it's needed, and for certain games as Daggerfall , they can be handy for beginners.

Another sometimes nice solution for beginners is bundling dosgames with dosbox in one ready to run package, as GOG does.
But then again, there have already risen problems when you want to run games you already own with such bundled packages, certainly when there are special config/mounts needed..... then you still have to learn to handle dosbox.

And one day we all will be on Win10-11 or something completely else, your bought GOG bundles will be worthless, I don't expect they will last forever at GOG support, same for frontends, there have been many many "frontend solutions" in dosbox's history, and many failed to step up when Vista/Win7/Win8 came up with their specific and strict security protocols ....

Etcetera etcetera plenty blah blah blah ...

To conclude:
If you can run dosbox 'as is' , learn how to work with it (it ain't thàt complicated after all) and avoid front ends.
But if you're interested in only one or two (3?) games, now yeah, why not.

Et more blah blah blah ... :laugh:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

your bought GOG bundles will be worthless
Argh! You scare me. Maybe I need to be zipping up the installed GOG directories against future need...

Windows 21.11 running Bochs with Win9 installed to successfully run a GOG install to get the dosbox setup and game files extracted...