CGA game similar to Atari Adventure [Dungeon Of Shalan]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
x0rcyst

CGA game similar to Atari Adventure [Dungeon Of Shalan]

Post by x0rcyst »

I remember playing this old game that was very similar to Adventure for the atari 2600, from the way you could only hold one item at a time, right down to the bat that came and stole your stuff.

It was in CGA (i think mostly the red/green mode) but it had more advanced features than atari Adventure, like terrain that could kill you. The player actually looked like a person running around, not a square.

One of the items I seem to remember carrying around looked like a spider web or a puff ball.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I see some remakes of adventure, like Indenture or items on this list.

There's the ASCII Castle Adventure.

These seem like long shots, but maybe it gets us started?

There are also DND / Telengard clones like Temple of Apshai or this list. More RPG than pure action, but similar in presentation.

Or the very action oriented Shamus.
x0rcyst

Post by x0rcyst »

No, it was only similar to Adventure, not really a direct copy. The screens I remember seeming more like a designed levels, with obstacles in some cases.

I don't recall it being as shooty as shamus. The closes thing I can think of that is graphically similar is Pyramids of Egypt

www.mobygames.com/game/pyramids-of-egypt/screenshots
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Paganitzu, Catacomb, Monuments of Mars

It's hard to stay away from shooty games. :)

On the puzzle side, maybe it could be something like Super Boulder Dash, Rockford, Wanderer or other Boulder Dash variants; Soko-Ban, or Chip's Challenge?
x0rcyst

Post by x0rcyst »

Nope. Not as puzzle oriented as boulderdash, or chip's challange, and no scrolling, It was a flick screen game, also similar to adventure, you could explore connected screens. It was certainly topdown, not a platformer as mouments of mars and those related game.

It wasn't shooty but it was more dexterity oriented than puzzle oriented. As far as i remember the "puzzles" really only amounted to carrying the proper object for the right obstacle/room.

I fear it is very obscure. I'm pretty sure I have the platform right. I only owned a c64 and a NES around this time, and I still have all my old games to look through!
x0rcyst

Post by x0rcyst »

*only owned as in other than the DOS PC, natrually
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I'm running out of ideas, I thought Paganitizu would be close. :) But others may have some ideas.

Some final long shots that come to mind:
Robot Odyssey, Rocky's Boots, Castle Wolfenstein
x0rcyst

Post by x0rcyst »

Nope sorry. Thanks for the guesses everyone.

Thinking it was some shovelware game. Ah well.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Don't give up yet. ;) Lots more brains still to take a look and pitch ideas than just mine. We get lots of evening and weekend posters, too, so keep checking back.
Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage
x0rcyst

Post by x0rcyst »

Wow! That's it! What a weird yet generic name, no wonder i've never been able to find it.

Thanks a bunch!