homm 1 [W7]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
topzombie22

homm 1 [W7]

Post by topzombie22 »

OK so im on windows 7 64 bit and im using dosbox to run homm 1 and i put in
mount c c:\heros
C:
HEROES
INSTALL
once im done all that it say type HEROES to continue so i do it loads for a sec and then it says can not acsses CD DRIVE. BTW I GOT THIS VERSION OFF THE INTERNET I USED TO HAVE A DISC COPY BUT I GOT SCRATCHED UP. please help i dont understand!!!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I can provide some hints, but I don't have the details to give the exact solution.

It sounds like homm is looking for the cd drive "in dos" - makes sense. This means you'll probably have to tell dosbox to emulate a cd.

(Different games check for the cd different ways - look for a file, look for a cd title, or do something fancy. I don't know what homm does, so I don't know exactly what will work.)

the first thing to try is mounting the same directory as drive d and as a cdrom:
mount d c:\heros -t cdrom

That might fix it, or it might just be the first step.

Here's another thread with some details, but not sure if they reached success

You can also google homm dosbox install guide, it looks like there are several sets of instructions. They don't look too tricky, so the above "mount" command might work the first time.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

First of all:
topzombie22 wrote:OK so im on windows 7 64 bit and im using dosbox to run homm 1 and i put in
mount c c:\heros
Is plain wrong for W7-64.
Read and apply: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

Now, is it needed to install the game? You told you downloaded the game, isn't it cracked and ready to run?
Ask where you downloaded the game, we have no idea what you have....

If you can't get the game to run or install, search for a CD image and mount that as D: in dosbox, run install from D: on C:

If you can't find a full CD image (no rip !!! most rips are borked) the game is on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/heroes_of_might_and_magic
What's more: GOG's game comes pre installed with dosbox and ready to run in Windows (all vers).
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
topzombie22

Post by topzombie22 »

ok so the first guys idea worked and so i went to install it and it worked but when i click on the install thing is say not enough space on the the c: drive need 28,274,612 bytes when i have 216 gb left on my c: drive
and d: drive
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Haha! That error is always funny. And painful.

On your mount command, try using the freesize option to specify the number of megabytes (you need about 30, 100 should work). It'll look something like this:
mount c c:\heros -freesize 100
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

HOMM shouldn't need a freesize param, dosbox reports by default 250MB free space.

My guess is a wrong C mount/wrong install command.
But as topzombie22 seems not to be able to provide relevant info I don't know where he goes wrong.

Relevant info would be:
Size/name of downloaded game
Dosbox version.
Detailed dosbox mounts.
Detailed inputs/commands.
A screen of the error.

Also:
topzombie22 wrote:but when i click on the install thing
Makes me wonder if he(she-it-whatever) is even in dosbox ..........

Nothing to click in HOMM install screen .....
dosraider wrote:If you can't get the game to run or install, search for a CD image and mount that as D: in dosbox, run install from D: on C:

Also²: once again
dosraider wrote:If you can't find a full CD image (no rip !!! most rips are borked) the game is on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/heroes_of_might_and_magic
What's more: GOG's game comes pre installed with dosbox and ready to run in Windows (all vers).
If you can't get your downloaded and pirated (cracked ???) game to run why don't you ask where you downloaded it from?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Good points, especially the catch on the "clicked".
topzombie22

Post by topzombie22 »

darklow was correct and im sorry about the errors in my writing i was in a rush i had to leave
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

No worries about the writing! Just trying to get you to some successful conclusion. When you have time for more info, that might help us help you. Until then, cheers, mate! :D

And, you are running the install from INSIDE dosbox, yes? That error might be explained if you are running it directly from windows.
topzombie22

Post by topzombie22 »

yes yes im running it from inside dosbox its just that i tried clicking it before i posted on this form so thats what first came to my mind :P
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

:)