Game save issues on Electronic Popple

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
electronicpopple

Game save issues on Electronic Popple

Post by electronicpopple »

Hi guys,
I have some issues trying to save game on Electronic Popple.
In order to get the game run I have to mount it as a CD-ROM.
I've put the game in C:\Users\Myname\oldgames\Popple
mounted dosbox like:
mount C: C:\Users\Myname\oldgames\Popple -t cdrom
I've also tried putting the game on drive d, and mounting it on D, but got the same error.
Error says that dosbox cannot read file POPPLE01.SAV

Any suggestions guys?
Thanks,
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

That sounds either like it's looking in a non-existant (or "don't have permissions") directory for the file, or it's trying to write (read??) to CD rom drive. Does it need the CDROM for copy protection "cd check", maybe, and not to run the game off of it?

Suggestions:
1) is there a config file, might it have a save directory in it?

2) you could use a tool like Process Monitor to see where dosbox.exe tries to read/write files. It's free, but I can't really help you use it other than: "run it", "set filter to dosbox.exe", "set filter to file operations", then trigger the problem. (it might have to be running before you run dosbox, I forget.) That might tell you what dosbox is actually trying to do when it gets the error.

3) Maybe mount the directory in dosbox both as the c drive ("installed to hard drive") and as the cd drive d like you are doing now. Run from the C drive, maybe it "verifies" the cd is in drive D:, but now it can write to the "hard drive" on C. I don't think you need two copies, as I recall dosbox can mount the same directory multiple ways. If I'm wrong, maybe copy it and try again?
electronicpopple

I haven't found any config file.
I either did not understand 3rd solution or it doesn't work, cause I tried to mount the same destination on D as -t cdrom, and on C on default options.
It didin't work. I also tried to mount it as E (cause cdrom drive is called that way) - didin't work.
I think I need a solution here to skip disk checking or make a way to come around it so the game would run mounted as a drive, not a cdrom.

Any ideas?
Thanks
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Game save issues on Electronic Popple

Post by dosraider »

Quadko is probably right.
electronicpopple wrote:mount C: C:\Users\Myname\oldgames\Popple -t cdrom
-t cdrom is always read only, you can never save/write on something mounted as CD.

If I understand you have a downloaded copy, craked to run without CD? (original game is a CD game and needs CD in drive or mounted game image to run.... )

Try this:
-> mount normal virtual C with cracked game to launch/play
And:
-> Mount your real CD drive as D in dosbox
(I think there is no CD needed in it, empty dive should do, just checks if mscdexe is running, otherwise copy all files to \popplecd\ and mount that \popplecd\ as CD drive in dosbox ...)

Should be something as:

mount d x:\ -t cdrom
*replace X by your CD drive letter under windows*
mount c C:\Users\Myname\oldgames\
cd popple
popple

Notice: you mount \oldgames\ as C , not \oldgames\popple\ and then do a cd popple

Also, if I remember swell, you could only save at telephone box or somthing, not everywhere ingame.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
electronicpopple

Got it to work

Yes, I did the previous instructions incorrectly. Now I got the game save and run fine, thanks a lot! Cheers
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're welcome, glad we could help. :)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
electronicpopple

The game saved fine but yet I faced another problem.
As if I level up, the game just freezes. I can call up another guy with F4, he moves alright, but everything else is frozen.
I've tried another version of popple but still got the same thing.
I've read that this might be sound related problem but i cannot imagine why (maybe lvl up sounds or smth).
Well if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Thanks in advance :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hmmmm, that's another one....

Problem is that you use a cracked/downloaded game, and if you think it may be sound related ... who knows what's going on, I don't.

I would say:

Or run epsetup (*if you have that file?*) and select soundblaster 16/AWE
Base 220
IRQ 7
DMA 1

Or disable all sound devices in dosbox conf file and give it another try....?

Or can't you ask where you got the game? They should know their stuffs ....

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem with the game freezing during level up.
However, at the stage after the first boss, stage 3 If I remember correctly, for some reason the sound works (not the bgm) and leveling doesn't freeze the game.

So Ya, get to this stage somehow and you should be able to level up fine at this stage.