re: getting wolf3d map editor to work [Win7]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
reble

re: getting wolf3d map editor to work [Win7]

Post by reble »

1st off I am using Dosbox to start the game. Is there a way to make the sound better? It sounds like the sound made by an old internal pc speaker on an old 1980s msdos machine. Is there a patch for that?
On to the map editor v8.4. Open the link below to look at the image. The image shows what happens when I start the map editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep9805du0z6bt ... it-ini.jpg

The line in the ini file is "game_path=.c:\games\dgames\wolf3d" That is the directory were the game is on my hard drive :huh:

Steve[/img]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Topic doesn't really belongs in 'general', moved to GGTW.

Missing some vital info:
-> OS?

-> Do you have the full game?
-> Your mount lines in dosbox?
-> How do you launch dosbox/game/editor? Commands? Did you
alter [autoexec] in dosbox conf file?

Detailed please, THX.
Seems your mount and paths aren't 100%.
Also:
Please read your documentation files ...
Did you? Seems the editor is kinda nitpicking about paths .....

Sound:
-> What are your soundsettings?
-> Did you tried ADLIB?
But: W3D has pretty lousy sound, best here is to try things out......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
reble

re: getting wolf3d map editor to work (game works fine)

Post by reble »

1st off os is win7 home 32bit. I do have the full game. The dosbox conf file is unaltered. The following bat file is how I start the game with and it works fine :)

c:\dosbox\dosbox.exe -c "cycles auto" -c "mount c c:\games" -c "c:" -c "cd dgames" -c "cd wolf3d" -c "wolf3d.exe -goobers"

To start the map edit I changed the last part of the above bat file from -c "wolf3d.exe -goobers" to -c "mapedit.exe"

I start all of my dos games via Dosbox using the same basic bat file above with of corse the last 2 parts are changed to fit each games dir and file name.exe

It took me a bit of time to work the kinks out of the bat file when I 1st started using Dosbox.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

First of all: your dosbox install folder(c:\dosbox\) and virtual C mount sux for Win7.
For the thousands time: while it was OK for XP to work as this, from Vista and certainly for Win7 it is WRONG.
Read and apply this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511
XP and Win9X times are gone, adapt yourself to a more secured OS.

W3D should be in c:\users\your name\oldgames\W3D\
\oldgames\ should be mounted as virtual C
Dosgames should NOT be buried in multiple level directories.
\dgames\w3d\ is not good.

Adapt yourself to a modern OS and correct your dosbox mounts.

Once done:
Game path in windows:
c:\users\your name\oldgames\w3d\

Path in dosbox:
c:\w3d\
Then the editor will find the needed files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Optional But I do NOT advise this]
You can eventually try to alter the ini line
"game_path=.c:\games\dgames\wolf3d"
should be
"game_path=.c:\dgames\wolf3d"
as c:\games\ is mounted as virtual C,
makes your WINDOWS path c:\games\dgames\wolf3d\
but makes your DOSBOX path
c:\dgames\wolf3d
Possible it will work that way, but nevertheless, your mounts are WRONG for Win7, Win7 is protective towards everything in C:, read/write access is unpredictable for programs and sooner or later you'll hit a wall, adapt yourself, even if you run as admin (something you should NOT do)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
reble

Post by reble »

How should the bat file be setup?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

To keep things simple:
Use the 'classic' batch files, means:
-> Run them from dosbox C prompt
-> store them on your virtual C ( \oldgames\ )
-> Best is here to work with an 'auto mounted' virtual C as explained in the howto for Win7.
Start dosbox, input the batch name to execute/launch prog, done.

If you follow the basic guidelines the batch would be something as:
To run the game
cd wd3
wolf3d.exe -goobers

Name it wolf3d.bat or whatever ....

To run the editor:
cd w3d
mapedit

Name it w3dedit.bat or whatever.
Adapt to your likings.

If you do this for all your games you only need to remember the name of the batch file, makes things simple and in fact was how most of us did in 'real' dos times to avoid to have to eternally type all the 'cd whatever' and optional command lines.
If you have a lot of games installed (I do) a simple
dir *.bat /w/p
is awesome, and even that one you can run from a simple batch (mine is called 'dirbat' , I don't like typing much .....)

What's more:
For every game you can add (eventually) needed dosbox whatever commands that work on the prompt (in fact most dosbox options can be altered from the prompt ->>> readme), memory settings(EMS... etcetera), core setting, cycles, CD mounts, looooong list, for any game that needs it.
Most of the old batch commands work also in dosbox (most, not all....)

Try-run the game, write the optional commands once in a batch file to launch game, done and over with, no hassle.
reble

Post by reble »

Dosraiser. I made all the changes above for Dosbox The game it self still runs great, no problems. But I still have the same "game_path" problem with the map editor. It doesn't matter what I put in the "game_path" line in the "mapedit.ini" file. The map editor will not except the path info. I am still banging my head against a brick wall on this one
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Could you please give some detailed info?

Your exact paths ? (Win and Dos)
Your mounts?
How do you launch game/editor? (inputs?)

There is still the possibility that the editor is borked ...... unlikely but not impossible.

Otherwise try nmap, that one works for sure.
You can find it@ http://toastytech.com/files/

Be sure to read the included doc, you'll prob need to change the mapnames in the config, I had to alter them to *.wl6