Star Trek The next Generation A final unity

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
chadeus 1975

STtng AFU

Post by chadeus 1975 »

In ST TNG AFU, screen will come up and list choices: View and Print Read ME, Install Game, Make Boot Disk, Exit Installer. I choose Install Game. Next screen will say: View and Print Read Me, Install Minimal Version, Install Standard Version, Install Optimal Version, Return to Main Menu, Exit Installer. I choose the Standard Version. Next screens brings up is checking CDRom Speed. Then screen comes up that tells you the hardware and software requirements to run the game. I hit ok then goes to a screen where you have to choose the drive and the only choice I have is Z: drive. I have no other option. Any suggestions?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If you really want help answer the questions please, repeating the same non-relevant stuff over and over again is useless.
dosraider wrote:Your OS?
Your C mount line in dosbox?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Post by Guest »

So I entered the sound device settings you suggested, but I'm still getting no sound. Is there something else I should try?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:So I entered the sound device settings you suggested, but I'm still getting no sound. Is there something else I should try?
dosraider wrote:Your OS?
Your C mount line in dosbox?
Also include:
Dosbox version?
Original game or downloaded?
CD mount line?
Installed game IN dosbox?
Mounts when installing game?
Mounts when trying to run game?
....etcetera ...... AKA: details, details and more details......

FYI:
Fact, runs fine in dosbox, so you may be sure you're doing something wrong or your game files are borked.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Re: Save game issue

Post by guest »

"The game works perfectly, except for the fact that I can't save games. Typing in a save game name and pressing enter just dismisses the menu and takes me back to the game; when I go back later to try and load the game, it's as though I never did it."

I sympathize. I've been playing it all day bc I can't save it. None of the advice on this board helps. I've seen two different posts addressing this problem. Still, no answers that work. I'm using Vista and DOSBOX 0.73, or whatever. Please, in layman's terms, tell me what to do.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

First things first: 0.73 is obsolete, update to 0.74.
If for some reason you want to keep 0.73, no problem, but DO NOT copy 0.73 dosbox conf into 0.74 !!!

Next:
dosraider wrote:Your C mount line in dosbox?
Also include:
Dosbox version?
Original game or downloaded?
CD mount line?
Installed game IN dosbox?
Mounts when installing game?
Mounts when trying to run game?
....etcetera ...... AKA: details, details and more details......
Plenty of unanswered questions.

And yes:
dosraider wrote: FYI:
Fact, runs fine in dosbox, so you may be sure you're doing something wrong or your game files are borked.

Post by guest »

game works fine in 0.72 (I checked, it's 0.72). just can't save.

Post by Guest »

Next:
[quote="dosraider"]Your C mount line in dosbox? don't know what that means
Also include:
Dosbox version? 0.72
Original game or downloaded? downloaded
CD mount line? ???
Installed game IN dosbox? no
Mounts when installing game? ???
Mounts when trying to run game? ???
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

guest wrote:game works fine in 0.72 (I checked, it's 0.72). just can't save.
Then it do NOT works fine, yes ?
Anonymous wrote:Next:
Your C mount line in dosbox? don't know what that means
Also include:
Dosbox version? 0.72
0.72 , 0.73 both are obsolete, same advise.
dosraider wrote:First things first: 0.73 is obsolete, update to 0.74.
If for some reason you want to keep 0.73, no problem, but DO NOT copy 0.73 dosbox conf into 0.74 !!!
Read and apply this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10437
Anonymous wrote: Original game or downloaded? downloaded
Why don't you ask where you downloaded the game? I can't know if they altered the game in some way.
Anonymous wrote: CD mount line? ???
You need to mount a CD or CD image to run this game
Anonymous wrote: Installed game IN dosbox? no
Not good , such games create an cfg file when installed, same remark you'll need to ask where you downloaded the game if there are specific mounts you need.
Anonymous wrote: Mounts when installing game? ???
Mounts when trying to run game? ???
Read and apply this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10437
and you'll know what mount lines are.

Post by guest »

ok. got 0.74. works great. tried to do the [autoexec] route. didn't work. can I just do it manually?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

guest wrote:.. tried to do the [autoexec] route. didn't work. can I just do it manually?
Try again to add the C mount line under [autoexec]
If you do it right it works.

Post by guest »

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It worked fine, it just didn't work for me. I don't mind inputing the mount though. I've got other games that I like to run anyway.

My C drive isn't very big and is nearly full. What I use is my Data drive, Drive D:\. It is much bigger and easier to use.

An idea I got last night (but haven't tried) is putting a blank STFU folder in my C drive with a SAVEGAME folder with Savegame data inside. Perhaps, and this is a wild guess, when I go to save on my game, it tries to find a save on the C drive instead of D, where in fact the actual folder is. Thoughts?

Post by guest »

Ok. went ahead and tried it. didn't work. I don't have an iso or anything for this and the data is too big to fit on a disc, so I can't do the -t cdrom thing (or whatever the command is). It's the complete game w/o the cd. I don't know if this helps.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You like to ask questions, but apparently don't like to give answers ...... so, again:

Your mount lines please?
Inputs to run the game?
exactly and detailed please.
If I ask it's because it can be relevant.

Also: can't you ask where you downloaded the game ? Because I have no idea what you downloaded.
I even don't know if the download is valid, or simply completely borked........

If you like the game hunt for an ISO on the net or buy it on eBay or whatever. Will avoid you headaches.

Post by guest »

dosraider wrote:You like to ask questions, but apparently don't like to give answers ...... so, again:

Your mount lines please?
Inputs to run the game?
exactly and detailed please.
If I ask it's because it can be relevant.

Also: can't you ask where you downloaded the game ? Because I have no idea what you downloaded.
I even don't know if the download is valid, or simply completely borked........

If you like the game hunt for an ISO on the net or buy it on eBay or whatever. Will avoid you headaches.
mount d d:\dosprog\stfu
d:
sttng.exe

that's what I type when I want to play the game. is that a mount line? also, I downloaded it from a torrent. I'm trying to give as many answers as I can.

Post by guest »

I checked further. I got the torrent from piratebay. it said something to the effect of "Star Trek TNG A Final Unity modified for modern pc."

it had an rar drive which I extracted. I did not have to run an installation program because once I extracted the rar, the information was already there. What you have been implying is that I should in fact run the install program. I attempted.

Here's what I did:

mount d d:\dosprog\stfu\
d:
setup

the program started but with an error message: "Your CD-ROM drive has not been detected or the game CD-Rom is not in your CD-ROM drive."

Again, I don't get that. There's no iso or CD-ROM to use.

When I ran the game anyway, under
d:
sttng

it seemed to work perfectly. sound, speed, visual... but as you said yourself, it was not running perfectly.

when I go to the menu to save, I click on "save." a menu pops up and it says something like "select which slot to save." I select a slot, and rename it. it then says, "press enter to save." when I press enter, it takes me back to the game, without ever saving.

is there any info I am forgetting? I'm trying to be as helpful as possible. You seem to know a lot about this. I appreciate the help.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Ok, we're getting somewhere.
Your mount violates the DOS basic principles.
First rule: you always mount a virtual C , whatever the real drive/folder letters are under windows.
Second rule: You never mount a game folder directly as C but mount a virtual C rootfolder and do a cd name and launch the game from there.
Even if your mounts will work for a lot of dosgames, as many won't work. Any game that needs a certain folder structure will not be able to find files/subfolders with your mount, it's one of the basic rules: mount a virtual C and do a "cd name" and launch the game from it's own folder

Now, regarding your specific situation, you should add this lines to [autoexec] :

mount c d:\dosprog
c:

Yes yes I know, do it correctly and it will work, and your dosbox will launch with a virtual C: present and ready to run, all your other dosgames should be stored in d:\dosprog\folder\ (Windows path)

Now to launch STFU:
Run dosbox (LOL) and input:

cd stfu
sttng

If you still have problems, I don't think I can help you further, means the game is badly ripped/cracked/whatever , nothing I can do about that.
Then search for a valid and complete CD image.

Post by guest »

thanks for the advice. the game launched, but still refused to save. suggestions? or are my answers elsewhere...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Crap. :(

Ah well, I had a look@ the STTNG folder and this is the structure:

Do you have that 'SAVEGAME' subfolder..?
Game is saved in :
SAVEGAME.0
SAVEGAME.1
SAVEGAME.IDX

Those 0-1 files are the used slots.

Also there is a STTNG.INI in the main folder where the hardware/paths are stored, if you open it with notepad it looks as this:

Code: Select all

Audio=SBPRO
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x1
Video=HI16
DPixel=OFF
Path=C:\STTNG\
CD=D:\
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0
Dialogs=OFF
VolSound=0x7FFF
VolMusic=0x7FFF
UniVESA=OFF
Keep in mind that I use the original CD ( in fact a CD image from my CD.)
Check first that savegame folder, and be sure it's not 'read only'.
Then take a look your path, should be Path=C:\STTNG\

That's about it, if you still can't save look for a CD image I would say.

Post by guest »

wow. never would've thought of that. the savegame folder WAS read-only... I unchecked it and hit "apply." when I went back in, it was hit as "read only" again. then I checked the stfu folder. it said THAT was read only. right now I'm "un-read only"-ing it. I'll let you know if that works. if you think of something else, please let me know. you have been a tremendous help.