Imperium Galactica

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

I don't have the game installed now, but if memory serves swell you can run the 'install' (or was it setup?) from the directory you installed the game on C:
Then you could reset sound options.

That, or run install again from D: and only use the 'setup sound' or 'autodetect sound' option, don't reinstall the game!
After sound setup 'save and exit'.

[Edit]
BTW, as it seems you kinda a beginner with dosbox:
When the game asks for CD2 hit CTRL+F4, this will autoswitch the mounted CD images in dosbox.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Waffen9999

Post by Waffen9999 »

You're right about running sound setup. Seems when you install the patch it resets the sound. So I went in and tried to redo the sound setup, it succeeded, however the option to save and exit isn't highlighted. It's like it wants me to reinstall the damn game. Uggg

I may have solved the problem but I don't know as there's no way for me to determine if the patch is running. I copied all the files over except for the one that was located in the folder "Setup" inside that folder it had a single "Install" application. That may or may not have been related to the setup option. But, the thing is running now with sound. I just don't know if it's running the 1.3 patch though. I suppose the only way to know would be to run it through and see if I hit that 5,000 building limit, although that could take a long long long time.

I couldn't find a changelog anywhere to check to see if there was something easily spottable. Evidently my solution didn't work. No sound again. Hmm this is truly diabolical.
Last edited by Waffen9999 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Me thinks you could:
Install game, backup sound conf file (but don't remember right now how that one was named), update and put sound conf file back.

Maybe I will take another look and reinstall the game later this week or in the weekend, just need some free time.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Waffen9999

Post by Waffen9999 »

Anything you can think of would be appreciated. I would love to play it again, but without the patch, it's kind of pointless as I remember some nasty bugs in the game without it applied.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Wait a bit, patience, gonna give it a look later on.

If you want you can try yourself, this is what I intend to do:

-> reinstall the game from scratch but do not select a sound card
Take a walk with the dog, drink a cup of coffee, whatever, let some time pass.
-> now run install again and select soundcard -> save config.
-> look what file(s) is(are) new and/or altered. (Look at timestamps)
With a bit of luck the filename is something 'sound' related....
-> backup that(those) file(s).

-> update game now.
-> copy backed up files, overwrite others.

-> testrun, sound should be working again now. I think
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

*Update*
Installed game, and so on ... no problem, sound was working, even after updating. Seems you have some kind of a problem....?

If needed you can reset the soundsetting when you run install from c:\imperium\ prompt.

There is one file for soundconfig: IMP.CFG
Should it be needed you can open that one with notepad, that must be in it:

Code: Select all

D:\

T17
A544
I7
D5

MODE0
As you did a lot of file copy, maybe you should start over from scratch? Delete imperium folder, reinstall game, update and run install/soundconf from C:\imperium\ ?
Waffen9999

Post by Waffen9999 »

I can't get it to work. I did exactly as you did. I did a clean install, waited a few minutes than chose my sound. The only file that changed with a timestamp was the IMP.cfg. Upon loading it up and looking at it, it was like what you have except it was all 0's so it said T0, A0, I0, D0. That was without selecting a soundcard. Upon getting the sound configuration it updated it to looked like that. That was the only file that changed. So I took it out, installed the patch and replaced it. Still nothing. I even tried just after the patch manually typing in the numbers and saving it, still nothing.

Everytime I go to the install screen the soundcard is wiped out showing nothing. Whenever I than set it there, it won't let me save it and exit without reinstalling the whole thing thereby defeating the purpose of doing it in the first place.

I'm not quite sure hwat you mean by resetting th sound in the C drive. The only thing I have on the C drive is the Imperium File folder and the 1.3 patch which just sits there in its zip file. If I try to do anything on the C drive it says it's an illegal command. I have to type in D: to get to the D drive, than I can do things.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Waffen9999 wrote:I'm not quite sure hwat you mean by resetting th sound in the C drive.
Run dosbox (if you followed the howto you will get a C: prompt)
input
cd imperium
Now your prompt should change to c:\imperium
Next input:

dir/w

This is what you should see:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See that 'install.exe' ?
Now input (you're still on c:\imperium prompt)
install
Choose 'autodetect'
Save and exit.

Now on your C:\imperium prompt input

imperium

This must launch the game with all sounds/music working.

I have no idea why you saved that zip update file in that folder, but you probably will have your reasons?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Wait a sec ..... 1 sec ......
I just tried something:
When I run imperium from D:\ I get the same problems as you.

You don't run the game from D:\ , do you?
You only go to D; to install the game, the game itself must be launched from c:\imperium\
Waffen9999

Post by Waffen9999 »

Hahahahahaha. That was it. I just tried everything relating to donig it that way. Wow, not sure how that happened. But yeah, it works like a charm now. You are a miracle worker man! Someday someone's gonna write a song about you. I can't even begin to express my thanks! Thank you so much!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

:laugh:
You're welcome.
Waffen9999 wrote: Someday someone's gonna write a song about you.
:huh:
Don't post such things, ya never know, Santhosh could read this, and damn he would do it.
Dennie

new problem

Post by Dennie »

Everytime I get past the point I need to insert the second disc, it won't save anymore.

When I save, or the autosave is activated, it'll say "Goodbye" like it does when you click quit in the in-game save/options/etc. menu.

What's happening?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Original game?
OS?
Dosbox version?
Mount lines?
Setup choices?
Inputs to run the game?
slipper

Help

Post by slipper »

Hello dosraider

Could You write me step by step how to install IG1 on XP. I read all posts and do not understand everyting. I will be very appriciated if You do so. I have oryginal CD.

Regards
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Help

Post by dosraider »

slipper wrote: Could You write me step by step how to install IG1 on XP.
First read and apply:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5443

Next steps are already explained:
dosraider wrote:blah blah blah .....
No, the correct mount line here is:
mount d x:\ -t cdrom
replace x:\ by your CD drive letter under windows
Mind the spaces, and the first letter is D, not E, always mount your cd drive as D in dosbox.

Next input:
d:
install

You will get an install screen, click on 'install game, this should be the result:

Hover with your mouse as in the next pic click on it and next hit enter, accept c:\imperium, you must get a screen indicating the files are copied to the harddisk:

Next step still in the install screen, click on autodetect sound, should detect SB with the appropiate settings, run a test, now you will see that you can save the configuration.
As here:

Save and exit, you will see a c:\imperium prompt.
input
imperium
to play.

Now if you close / restart dosbox and wanna play:
Mount your CD again as D and your inputs will be
That is of course if you have followed ALL the instructions !!!

cd imperium
imperium
Dion-Zeromus

Post by Dion-Zeromus »

got it working, now it has crashing issues...

Using DOSBox 7.4, and running it out of a D-Fend Reloaded unit, but I can't play more then 5-10 minutes before it crashes to the main menu and won't work... I set up the d-fend profile settings to mimick the system requirements that IG needed then, and it runs wonderfully, but has the issue with crashing.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Run it directly in dosbox, without DFend.
AldeAl

It's running very well

Post by AldeAl »

dosraider wrote:Run it directly in dosbox, without DFend.
I'm running it in Win 7 with DOSbox 7.4 off the original CD's and it's running very well and very stable. Ran one game to completion and playing a second game now.
Kampuf

Grayed out Install game symbol

Post by Kampuf »

I hope you enjoy a challenge, I'm no coder, but I've read through this forum and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When ever I run the installer through DOSBox the install game Icon is grayed out but everything else works fine.

Mount Lines: mount d c:/OldGames
d:
INSTALL.exe

Orinigal Game: No, my copy is scratch beyond recognition by cats and
years of me not paying it any attention

Input lines:I don't put any in unless mounting is an input line, sounds silly
but I honestly don't know.

Setup Choices: Sound is setup to Soundcard: SB 16
Address 220H
IRQ 7
DMA 5
No other setup choices that I know of

I guess since it's a torrented file you'll just brush this one under the carpet but please if you can help me or give me a link to the right files it would be very much appriciated.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Grayed out Install game symbol

Post by dosraider »

Kampuf wrote:I hope you enjoy a challenge, I'm no coder, but I've read through this forum and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
You don't need to be a coder to get games running in dosbox, just follow the instructions, it's kinda simple in fact.
Brings us to:
Kampuf wrote:OS: Windows 7

Mount Lines: mount d c:/OldGames
d:
INSTALL.exe
Euuurgghhh, no, not good, you need a virtual C: , as you're on Win 7 read and apply this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511
Kampuf wrote: I guess since it's a torrented file you'll just brush this one under the carpet but please if you can help me or give me a link to the right files it would be very much appriciated.
Can't give you a link, but we don't really care here where you got it, if we can help we will, however there are some details we need to know, as is:
You say you downloaded a 'file', what exactly? A CD image????
Kinda hard to tell you what to do without knowing what you have in hands.

If you don't have a valid ISO or BIN/CUE CD image, you'll have to google for one, or find a valid CD image on the torrents. (Once again: you're on your own to find it).

Once you have a valid CD image, it's pretty simple and straightforward, use the imgmount command line in dosbox and from there:
that is once you have read and applied the virtual C: mount as I linked you to!
dosraider wrote: d:
install

You will get an install screen, click on 'install game, this should be the result:

Hover with your mouse as in the next pic click on it and next hit enter, accept c:\imperium, you must get a screen indicating the files are copied to the harddisk:

Next step still in the install screen, click on autodetect sound, should detect SB with the appropiate settings, run a test, now you will see that you can save the configuration.
As here:

Save and exit, you will see a c:\imperium prompt.
input
imperium
to play.

Now if you close / restart dosbox and wanna play:
Mount your CD again as D and your inputs will be
That is of course if you have followed ALL the instructions !!!

cd imperium
imperium