Shareware cds

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.

Shareware cds

Post by Guest »

I used to have a couple shareware cds with loads of games, Schucky, Game Empire, some cd with about 70 games, and another that had an insane amount of games and had 2 or 3 disks.

Would anybody have the cds I describe? Probably a silly question as they would probably be stickies.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

There's some CDs full of games available here:

http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

Game Empire is one of them:

http://cd.textfiles.com/gameempire/

It's not very convenient to browse the files on the site, however you could use a download tool like DownloadThemAll for Firefox or FlashGet or some other similar tool to download all the files and burn it to a CD or something.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
PUN1SH3R

Post by PUN1SH3R »

holy shit, Titanium Seal too. Thanks man.(I am the original poster)

Though I was mostly hoping to get the shuckysoft cd.
PUN1SH3R

Post by PUN1SH3R »

Ok I'm having trouble now. The two programs don't download right, it saves whole folders as useless html files that are only a couple kilobytes.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hey, there's probably several programs that can do this for you, here's what I do ...

Using Firefox, install the DownThemAll add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/
(I called it DownloadThemAll in my post above, oops.)

Once installed, you should have DownThemAll options in your right-click menu. Browse to the folder of the game you want to download, such as:
http://cd.textfiles.com/gameempire/NEW/PRO18/

Right click on the page and choose DownThemAll. It'll give you a list of files. Uncheck the first couple (they'll end in stuff like ?N=D) so it only downloads the files you need. Choose where you wanna save 'em and hit "Start!"

You can of course use a different download manager, this is just the one I'm familiar with. You could also right click and "Save As..." each file individually but that might take awhile. :shifty: You'll want to use <a href="http://dosbox.com">DOSBox</a> to play most of these games properly in Windows btw. Hope this helps
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

That's because you're on the wrong page, not the actual files page.

One of the possibilities:
Install Downloadthemall-> get your browser in the subfolders where you see the files themselves -> rightclick -> click on DownThemAll.
click on the pics to enlarge
Nope: Image

Yep: Image

Capiche?

[Edit]
Darn, emmzee was faster... but me haz pics.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
PUN1SH3R

Post by PUN1SH3R »

Hm thanks. I was afraid of that, can't get the whole cd thing at once.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Downloading the whole CDs is pretty useless, isn't it?
Most progs are completely outdated and obsolete anyway.

With DownThemAll you can with one click get the stuff that's still interesting, as:
Games
Some utilities (mainly the dosbased ones)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
PUN1SH3R

Post by PUN1SH3R »

dosraider wrote:Downloading the whole CDs is pretty useless, isn't it?
Most progs are completely outdated and obsolete anyway.
I wouldn't think so. If I can download the whole thing rather than individually download each folder, I would save time. Getting each individual game with (sometimes)crude folder names is less convenient than browsing in the cd's game menu.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Yes and no, most dos CDs have somewhere an index, menu, catalog, list ..... txt or exe, and most subdirs have an index.

However, it can indeed be problematic when the subdirs are numbered or random coded ....
Worst are (it seems) the W9x shareware CDS. But even most of those have somekind of menu or catalog, finding that one is usually a matter of looking around.

But just imagine what the bandwith cost would be if everyone began to download all those full CDs with one click ......

I'm pretty happy with the situation as it is, I usually find what I look for.

If you're interested in the full CDs you could try to contact the site owners, maytbe, you never know ......

BTW, you have a PM .......