Trying to find : Game w/ Centaurs, Elves [Arena 2.1]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
WeaponsTheyFear

Trying to find : Game w/ Centaurs, Elves [Arena 2.1]

Post by WeaponsTheyFear »

I have been searching forever for an old game I used to play, that I thought was called something like Arena (although not Elder Scrolls).

From what I remember, the game arena was laid out in squares. There were centaurs/minotaurs, elves, and other creatures that were moved, and yo had to reach a flag or something to win (if I remember correctly).

I don't know if it was a DOS based game, abondonware, or what, but I played this circa the 486. I have tried asking all over, no one seems to know anything about it.

If it helps, another popular game at the Time was Hugos House of Horrors :D
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

I remember the game. It is called Arena, but I have no idea where to find it. :(

Other things I remember about the game, if it helps...

- Tile-based EGA graphics.
- 2-player hot seat game. Players alternated turns. I don't think there was any 1-player mode.
- Each player begins the game with a handful of random spells. Some spells create monsters. Others do things like launch fireballs or raise dead monsters.
- The goal was to march your monsters across the map and attack the opponent's wizard. The wizards were inside protective orbs.
- Other monsters include bats and shadows. There was also a "monster" called Nema that looked like a little girl in a dress.
- The game had mouse support, but the mouse movement was kind of buggy for us.
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

I've been looking for the game forever... All I can tell is that it was called Arena 2.1 The source code for the game can be found at http://www.gamespp.com/sourcecode/arena2_1.html . I can't find the original game writer either.

I heard from another post that the game was on the "Game Empire" CD. It was written by someone named B. Peterson (the name could also be Jon Peterson. I found a post he'd submitted with an old email he put in his source code)

Oh, and before anyone suggests it. It's not the Elder Scrolls: Arena Game.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

The game you're after is probably this one stored on CDTEXTFILES
http://cd.textfiles.com/cleanhpvac/
Look for ARJ241R.ZIP
But once again it's only the source code, if you don't have the knowledge to compile it .... say shit.
Best I can do I'm afraid, it seems to be an unfinished project.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded that zip but it doesn't seem to be it. it's something about "ARJ V2.41 Registeration Patche" not arena. any other suggestions?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

:shame: whoopsy, my wrong ....
It's ARSRC21.ZIP you should download.

SORRY.

But as said in the included txt file:
This code is a mess.
Doesn't sound very good ......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

Yeah... Thanks for looking though. Even if I compiled it It seems to be missing all the graphics files... Crappy code... No images... I'm screwed :boring:

If anyone knows somewhere else I can get it or happens to have it I'd apreciate it. (also I may have the game saved on an old zip disk but I don't have a zip drive... *sigh*)
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

HOLY CRAP! I FOUND IT! I happened to mention the game to one of my brothers and he remembered he still had the computer with the game on it in his closet at his apartment! SO I rushed over and booted up the old Dell Deminsion with windows 98 and lo and behold there it was! I'll post a link later with a download for anyone who wants it. Thank Goodness! And thanks for your help looking guys...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Lucky you .....
:)
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

ok, using the name of the .exe (ar256) and the word arena I was able to find a website that already had arena. (makes it easier for me not having to create a dowload for it.

http://cd.textfiles.com/gameempire2/XTRA/PROG65/

Just download everything in that directory and you should be good to go.
(you'll have to run the game in dosbox to get it to work right otherwise the mouse doesn't work right. I always have to turn num/lock on then off to get the num pad to work right so I can move my wiz. Also increase th cpu cycles to about 15,000 to get the game to run like it should)

Thanks again for your help, dosraider.
Last edited by mboushka on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

ok, so I tried downloading and playing the game from that link I posted and it would seem the graphics are corrupted... maybe it's just me but I'll post a link later with a download for the one I had on my pc, it works without any problems.

P.S. Sorry for all the posts dosraider. :shame:
Last edited by mboushka on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Doesn't look very good I'm afraid ........
mboushka

Post by mboushka »

Ok, here it is at long last. Sorry for the wiat.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nvm5rifnf418k27
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Thanks for the download mboushka.
:)

However, the game isn't really exciting, isn't it...?