DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Link directly to a game's page?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> dosgames.com Site Suggestions
Author Message
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander


Offline
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 1993

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 pm     Post subject: Link directly to a game's page? Reply with quote

Is there (or could there be?) a way to link directly to a game's info from the forum? Am I missing something, or is linking to the page list and saying "search partway down" the best way to get people there? And very happy to learn I just missed the obvious, if that's what I did.

Happy

edit: Hm, I tried the search page (google partner search?), but it isn't restricted to this site; odd. Oh, well!

I tried to see if I could jump to the entry on a page by anchor tag even, like .../g_puzzle.php#gamename, but it doesn't seem setup for that - no a tag with id="name" on the game sections or hyperlinks. That or a custom search could help, even if each game doesn't have a unique page. Happy
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 pm     Post subject: Re: Link directly to a game's page? Reply with quote

Quadko wrote:
Is there (or could there be?) a way to link directly to a game's info from the forum? Am I missing something, or is linking to the page list and saying "search partway down" the best way to get people there? And very happy to learn I just missed the obvious, if that's what I did.

Happy

edit: Hm, I tried the search page (google partner search?), but it isn't restricted to this site; odd. Oh, well!

I tried to see if I could jump to the entry on a page by anchor tag even, like .../g_puzzle.php#gamename, but it doesn't seem setup for that - no a tag with id="name" on the game sections or hyperlinks. That or a custom search could help, even if each game doesn't have a unique page. Happy


Have you tried copying the link at the top of you browser and pasting it? That usually works for me!
Back to top
wardrich
"Some Troll"


Offline
Joined: 14 Sep 2002
Posts: 3942
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:43 am     Post subject: Re: Link directly to a game's page? Reply with quote

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
Quadko wrote:
Is there (or could there be?) a way to link directly to a game's info from the forum? Am I missing something, or is linking to the page list and saying "search partway down" the best way to get people there? And very happy to learn I just missed the obvious, if that's what I did.

Happy

edit: Hm, I tried the search page (google partner search?), but it isn't restricted to this site; odd. Oh, well!

I tried to see if I could jump to the entry on a page by anchor tag even, like .../g_puzzle.php#gamename, but it doesn't seem setup for that - no a tag with id="name" on the game sections or hyperlinks. That or a custom search could help, even if each game doesn't have a unique page. Happy


Have you tried copying the link at the top of you browser and pasting it? That usually works for me!


This would work if he wants to link directly to a zip file, but he's asking if there's any way to link to the game's review on the page.

To answer that, no, it can't be done at this time. The site has been an old pet project of emmzee's, and the coding of it is slightly archaic by today's standards (no offense!). A lot of the stuff is hard-coded in.

He is working on a new layout, however, as we've all gotten older and taken on more responsibilities as life rolls on, he hasn't had as much time as he'd hoped for developing the site.

The best thing I can suggest (and it's a bit more work) is to copy the synopsis from the page, and copy the screenshot and download links and paste them into your post as well. You can use the following html tags to make your post a bit prettier:

Code:
<img src="LINK_TO_IMAGE" alt="Screenshot">

Code:
<a href="LINK_TO_GAME">[Download]</a>
Back to top
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander


Offline
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 1993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:39 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wardrich!
Back to top
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin


Offline
Joined: 14 Sep 2002
Posts: 2402
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:07 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, all the pages are hard-coded html. With over 600 entries, it would take a long time to convert them to a database system. I've had inclinations of redoing the site over the years, but now that I'm in full-time work and part-time school (and likely starting to plan a wedding Love Shifty) it unfortunately probably won't happen soon.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:28 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Wow. That is big news. Congratulations............
Back to top
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander


Offline
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 1993

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:54 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the pending nuptials!

Certainly no worries on the pages, not a big deal. But I do wonder, hm, could a global search and replace add a "harmless" anchor to each entry... or at least on the "all games" page...

If you don't mind, I'll take a look and let you know if I get good results. You can ignore or use it at your convenience, then. But all the current stuff certainly works. Happy
Back to top
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time


Offline
Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 374
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. If the likely required workload of the conversion were of no consequence, or if we were to ignore the likely size and number of items to be eventually transferred over to any potential new database system and/or layout.. Did you have any ideas in mind for what sort of system or layout you may potentially be interested in?
Back to top
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander


Offline
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 1993

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:29 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking me, I don't care, just a way to link directly to a game's blurb and download link - whether that's one page per game, or just an anchor on each game name to scroll directly there, that's what I had in mind.

No complaints about the site, of course! It's got a classic low bandwidth feel rather than the encyclopediac database feel that HotU once did and many modern sites provide. But free stuff and hobby - glad it exists! And the forum! Double plus good glad. Just looking for a way to easily link from the forum when we have a game someone is looking for.

And if you're asking emmzee, that makes more sense. Happy
Back to top
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time


Offline
Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 374
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:34 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was more aiming my question at emmzee. No worries, though. Blissful
Back to top
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac


Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:53 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, there are some broken links in the site's database (external download links that is), and some games featured could be updated to more recent versions.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:
On a related note, there are some broken links in the site's database (external download links that is), and some games featured could be updated to more recent versions.


On the note of updating my personal games: Tron (demo), futbol (demo), and ArkanDOS (demo)...

I am tired out, and not getting any creative inspirations right now. Cheese-its & Rice!hehe It is also pretty draining reading 450+ pages of coding books in 3 weeks. So I am just resting for the Christmas Season and maybe picking back up the year. I am burned out, overworked and under paid haha However, I love my job.

Like we talked about, it is at my leisure however that may not be good for the public. They say a game is better if you take your time?
Back to top
wardrich
"Some Troll"


Offline
Joined: 14 Sep 2002
Posts: 3942
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:
On a related note, there are some broken links in the site's database (external download links that is), and some games featured could be updated to more recent versions.


On the note of updating my personal games: Tron (demo), futbol (demo), and ArkanDOS (demo)...

I am tired out, and not getting any creative inspirations right now. Cheese-its & Rice!hehe It is also pretty draining reading 450+ pages of coding books in 3 weeks. So I am just resting for the Christmas Season and maybe picking back up the year. I am burned out, overworked and under paid haha However, I love my job.

Like we talked about, it is at my leisure however that may not be good for the public. They say a game is better if you take your time?


...This has to do with the games listed on dosgames.com... it has nothing to do with your titles.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:27 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Laughing

I was not complaining!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> dosgames.com Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Free Windows games


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group and Ask an Expert
Also powered by Darren and the other admin and mods' hard work! ;)