DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Need Help Fast Finding a Song...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 pm     Post subject: Need Help Fast Finding a Song... Reply with quote

I'm teaching a class tomorrow afternoon at 1:00, and I've just finished the lesson plan. I made a montage of about 30 documentary films, have a bunch of quotes, a 2 page outline of my lecture... but I'd really like to have a song to play at the end of class as the students are leaving.

I'm teaching on the adverse effects of nationalism - basically coming from the premise that nationalism is the result of overly-powerful governments abusing patriotism, twisting into a mentality that devalues and dehumanizes non-citizens.

I'm coming from a lot of different angles, from the whole duty/honor idea of Clint Eastwoods new film, Letters From Iwo Jima, the religious and nation-worshiping aspect, and the aspect of coerced nationalism via threats/scare tactics, so any song that involves those would be good. I just can't seem to find an appropriate song.

I mean, it needs to be respectively solemn (I have clips from the holocaust and of troops dying in WWII, so yeah) so no Clutch or SOAD, but it needs to be hard-hitting too. The best I've come up with as of yet is Politik by Coldplay.

Anyway, if any of you guys have any ideas before noon, -5 GMT on the 30th, I'd be MOST appreciative. Kind of a brain freeze here...
The_Sinister_Mastermind
Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thereís Iced Earthís The Glorious Burden for over zealous patriotic themes if irony is what youíre after since before the album was released in some countries a few tracks were removed because of the lyrical themes. Tbbbbbth!

Iím sure there are others you could use as well, I just canít think of anything off the top of my head.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a bow - Muse
Exo-Politics - Muse

But I don't know how fitting they are. Just two songs that came off the top of my head....
The_Sinister_Mastermind
Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Owww, I just thought, how about something off Evergreyís Recreation Day? Itís in one of a series of concept albums, this oneís lyrical themes centre around personal reformation (Which could be easily linked in a slightly abstract way to what youíre talking about) and the second track, End Of Your Days, has a really badass keyboard intro followed by a mini-guitar solo. So if nothing else the people in your class will be impressed by that. Tbbbbbth!
GAMER
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let's pretend that it's okay that people die...their nationalist pride has let them down again...i wonder how mister and misses x feel, about the war...they've lost their lives and it's fucking war again...but that's the price of freedom...so can you bomb the fuckers out please help us government, they're the ones you've got to hurt...the people sitting oblivious at home...that's where the danger lies for me..."

Local band that died a few years ago...

Cool GAMER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1