DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Where do i buy a linux

abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 am     Post subject: Where do i buy a linux Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking about buying a linux cd because i want to get a Linux and what games run with Linux. Linux will be primarily a computer that i will do work on but i will end up playing games with Dos Box ported to Linux which exists but i think it is not called Dos Box. I have used a lot of operating systems. When i was young we used old IBM's and Dos computers. Later we used old windows and macs. Later on the years we used Bravo,windows95 and windows 98 and new macs and that is what my school uses today except they don't have bravos,windows95 or windows 98. They have new XP's and mac os x computers. I only use the Macs though as i am tired of Windows and i want a computer besides windows such as a Linux.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:59 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

Freeware and excellent Linux distribution.
CPT Worm
American Hero
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:20 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

..."Buy" Linux?

Yeah, check out Ubuntu. Or if you're worried about your computer, there are TONS of Linux distros.
http://www.linux.org/ or Google.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:41 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i buy Linux at a store because i simply don't want to be waiting hours and hours for something to download as Linux as very big.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me something Hulkie ol' pal.... Are you rich by any chance? Laughing
CPT Worm
American Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:35 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have Ubuntu sent to you for free. I think.
They are also many distros that will ship you a CD for a fee if you don't want to pay.

Um, how fast is your internet connection anyway?
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:27 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i do i have a couple thousand dollars in the bank. It took over 30 minutes to install the stargunner freeware from 3drealms who used to be known as apogee. If you go to 3drealms site they have the freeware version of star gunner under the downloads section. I chose to download it from file front though as it is quicker.
CPT Worm
American Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:49 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm asking is, at what speed do you download files at? 5 kb/s? 100 kb/s? 900 kb/s?

Because, if you have DSL or Cable internet, it shouldn't take THAT long to download those files at all.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:16 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to order free Ubuntu CDs:
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login
Or free Kubuntu CDs:
https://shipit.kubuntu.org/login
Personally, I'm basically a Linux newbie (I used it at school but never on my own computers) but IMHO I'd say you should go with Kubuntu cuz then you get KDE as your desktop manager, which seems generally nicer than Gnome which comes with Ubuntu.
init1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm     Post subject: Re: Where do i buy a linux Reply with quote

abyss wrote:
I am seriously thinking about buying a linux cd because i want to get a Linux and what games run with Linux. Linux will be primarily a computer that i will do work on but i will end up playing games with Dos Box ported to Linux which exists but i think it is not called Dos Box. I have used a lot of operating systems. When i was young we used old IBM's and Dos computers. Later we used old windows and macs. Later on the years we used Bravo,windows95 and windows 98 and new macs and that is what my school uses today except they don't have bravos,windows95 or windows 98. They have new XP's and mac os x computers. I only use the Macs though as i am tired of Windows and i want a computer besides windows such as a Linux.

Happy Good! I found Xandros at staples. If you want to buy it, try that. And it is called dosbox.
If you do want to download, try Ubuntu. One of the best.
Also try FreeDOS. I use it to play DOS games.
http://www.freedos.org/
PM me if you need any help with this.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:11 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Who buys linux? lol. Start with

http://www.mepis.org - Mepis. It's where I started. 6.x is all based on Ubuntu. I like it more than pure Ubuntu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1