DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

+ x com not working, Will not save

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
Keithpup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:31 am     Post subject: + x com not working, Will not save Reply with quote

Shifty
Ok, I have a "new" copy of Xcom I just bought on CD, bear in mind the last time I played xcom I was running dos 4 or so... I have win98 se and all my other games (old ones too) work. ... I have dos only games like Authurs quest and new ones as well.
What happens is I run the setup (cdsetup eHappy and it installs then I start the game and it looks right, then If i try and save or try and get to a downed UFO it starts giving errors about not being able to open a file... Crying
Anyone had any similar probs?
Confuzzled
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:33 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

What is/are the missing file(s)?
Keithpup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:25 am     Post subject: xcom evil! Reply with quote

cannot open game5/smokebit.dat
error=:no such file or directory
followed by similar errors until I am presnted with a "UF O is recovered" screen abd a rating of good.....
Boy this is not how I remembered it .. .. Laughing
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:41 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

search the CD for those files. If they are there, copy them to the same directory that the game is in. If that doesn't work, you can always try to make dummy files with the same name
procerus
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:19 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you starting the game?

Are you sure you're running the game from the hard disk properly and not from the CD-ROM?

Run Scandisk on the hard disk and get it to fix any errors. If there were errors with the game's files then reinstall the game and recheck with Scandisk.

Check the CD for readability with CDCheck. If CDCheck reports errors, and the disk itself is clean and unscratched, then buy a CD-ROM drive cleaning kit and try cleaning the lens (or just blast with compressed air if you can get some).

It shouldn't cause problems but is the hard disk formatted with FAT16 or FAT32?
Keithpup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:29 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

running the game from C:\xcom
Starting from the dos prompt at c:\xcom
ran scandisk and defrag on c: (thanks)
seems to have fixed... missing or fragmented file maybe? Laughing
that 'll teach me for skipping simple steps Forbidding
Again thanks
Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1