DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music

Are guitar tab websites guilty of copyright infringement, or just helping others learn to play guitar?
Providing tabs of copyrighted music is illegal, because it's like downloading the music itself
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Providing tabs of copyrighted music is like playing it by ear, helping others to play it
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:29 am     Post subject: Guitar Tabs Reply with quote

Who else thinks that the current thing about copyright infringement is completely stupid?
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:12 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

me.
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

what started it anyway? i mean i wanted to get a tab off my song book and it claimed all this crap about copyrights
GAMER
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:30 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? There's copy infringements on tabs? That's just silly.

How is anyone going to learn to play. The only way I learned to play chords when I first started was through playing other peoples songs...

That's like...putting copy rights on...a stylistic analysis of Picasso?!

Or a guide to quilting?!

Cool GAMER
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh luckily most tab sites aren't being persecuted yet ... ultimate-tabs.com and 911tabs.com are still around so ... *shrugs*
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:07 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but check
www.mxtabs.net
www.mysongbook.com
www.guitartabs.cc
all been hit
The_Sinister_Mastermind
Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:01 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Itís stealing plain and simple, artists are well within their rights to protect their IP.

How are people meant to learn you say? Last time I checked many bands release tabs on their websites, with their CDs, it tab books etc.

Really itís not stupid at all, inconvenient yes, but these people are trying to earn a living off this stuff you know. Sarcastic
Check-Mate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:29 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it stealing if you just learn it by ear, and then write it down so that you won't forget? It'd be stealing if you were to say it's your own work, but posting it up for other people still isn't stealing. They could also have just learnt it by EAR. But some people just can't. Like me! I can't do that! So I find tabs.
And most bands don't provide tabs for you. And if they release them on the internet, then...how is that any different then someone doing it by ear and putting them on the net? Except that, they're the exact notes/chords and techniques that the band uses?
I don't see it as stealing at all. I see downloading their songs instead of buying their albums stealing, yeah. That is. But making tabs of your own....I don't see that as stealing at all. Hey, if my bands made tabs that I had access to, to buy...I'd buy them to support them. But....they don't. And so, they don't lose money if someone posts a tab up of one of their songs.
Bands make money mostly through their CD's. Not their tabs.
Thunderdog
Token Black Guy
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:28 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, you can't learn to play other band's music. It's THEIRS. Only they have the right to see how it's done. Nuh uh. You thieving son of a bitch. You PIG SHIT.

...That sucked.

Anyway, I think 6 lines, some fucking numbers, and a bunch of symbols counting as copyright infringement is bullshit, because there's numerous different ways to play some songs.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even name all the concerts I've been to where the house band did a cover of another musicians song. Hell, any dance you attend, and almost all concerts by small bands do this, and even a lot of major bands. (I'm thinking of Korn, Metallica, even some bands last night at X-Fest)

Did these bands ask permission? No! Did they make money off of playing these songs? You bet! So while this is perfectly acceptible, the bunch of fucking pricks that call themselves the NMPA think they can make themselves a bit richer by suing guitar tab websites. These websites aren't out there to make money, and neither are the people who use them - that's the role of the bloodsucking lawyers at the NMPA.

Don't be fooled, these bastards aren't acting the best interest of the bands. They're acting in the best interests of their bank accounts. And, as always, it's the little guy, the budding musician or the garage band, that's getting screwed over.

Off Topic, but, Cyber, I just noticed your signature and saw you're a fan of my favorite comedian!
Check-Mate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:36 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU DB. You make a very valid point. I never even thought of that.
Another excellent argument.
GAMER
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:05 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Are lyrics an infringement then? Am i allowed to sing along to my fav songs??

Cool GAMER
CPT Worm
American Hero
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:13 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

What next? They'll sue me for copying the lines of my favorite comedian? I'll go home, and a monkey will be waiting there ready to do battle.
An NMPA monkey.
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:45 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

GAMER wrote:
Are lyrics an infringement then? Am i allowed to sing along to my fav songs??

Cool GAMER

great point

i understand if you perform in open public or release it as a cover without permission but just playing for the sake for syaing "i can play classical gas" for example can save lives from bar fights
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

yo i noticed there are 2 negative votes.. one is TSM i know from the post but who is the other.
and yeh DB i just noticed the comedian thingy at the bottom of your post. mitch hedberg is so funny.
great points though, but i still wanna know what started it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games