* CD Rom Problem

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
dgraham1977

* CD Rom Problem

Post by dgraham1977 »

I'm not sure whether anyone knows a solution to this but here it goes. I am having problems getting my cd-rom to recognize in ms-dos. I have Windows 98 2nd Ed. on my machine, and when I boot into ms-dos it recognizes my A, c, and D drives along with my soundcard, but it doesn't recognize any of my cd-roms. I've searched the web and I get the impression that there are certain files that would have to be configured but my problem is I don't know which ones and how to do that. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

If you can boot from a cd-rom, put your Windows 98se disk in, then on restart, select boot from cd-rom, then boot with cd-rom support. That will put you into ms-dos with the support
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

CD fix

Post by johpower »

Part right (above) but I believe the guy needs the CD full time. For this you've gotta have the install disk to set up a config.sys and autoexec.bat for DOS with CD drivers loaded each time w/o a floppy boot. If you don't have such a disk I can probibly copy one of mine. Many different ones will work if the CD isn't too old. Look who makes the drive, the drive model and how old it is from the label on the drive's top cover. If the date is before 1997 or if it's a pre-1999 Mitsumi or NEC, you may need a specific disk. If Otherwise, nearly any CD install disks will work.

Do the install as noted in the floppy "readme" file. After that finishes go to Start\Run: and enter "sysedit" in the box. The config.sys and autoexec.bat will reflect the change with MSCDEX entries for the CD install. You might want to print it out to compare with future changes.

NOTE: run Sysedit before you do the install as your old CD install may still be there but disabled by "rem" in front of each line of text. If so delete the "rem"s and see if it suddenly starts to work.

I have spare install floppies to email if necessary. --Joh
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.