Help, my PCChips MB seems to be dead!

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Help, my PCChips MB seems to be dead!

Post by fabiobol »

I bought through e-bay a PCChips M560, with the TX PRO Clone chipset: really, the chipset is the very good ALi Aladdin IV. I was using my PCChips with Windows XP. Suddenly, the PC crashed, and when I turned it on, it was dead: the PC doesn't dothe "BEEP" ; the CPU doesn't become hot... it seems that the electric-energy doesn't arrive to the Pentium-200 MMX CPU. The PCChips Motherboard also gave me some problems during the first days I used it (it was last tuesday): the PC crashed and I had to remove the external cover of the case, remove also the RAM banks (192 MB= 64+128 dimm) and then the MB could restart her activity. But now, the PC can't start, and I had to change my M560, for now, with a Soltek 54U5 that is not in very good conditions... Could you help me to use the M560 again?
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

Buyer Beware :D Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

It sounds like your power unit died.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

I paid it 15,90 € (I live in Italy). So in your opinion, it's the on/off switch that does not work or not? I can't understand! I say it's not possible! The MB was never used! When I tried the first time, I was very satisfacted.... but now, the MB doesn't work. Sometimes, the CPU becomes hot, but the PC cannot start as well. Any other suggestions?
johngUK

Post by johngUK »

isn't a Pentium 200 mhz processor too slow to run Windows XP?
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

Yes, it's a bit slow... so I tried to keep Win XP but, for DOS games, I decided to return to Windows 98SE. Now, i need the BIOS upgrade for this:

06/13/97-i430TX-NS336-2A59IQ1CC-00

The new MB is a QDI.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

I always thought machines would preform better when near frezzing.

Pentium 200 mhz is too slow to run WinXP.
My pentium 300 mhz can barley hold out my Win95 (which is on the verge of crashing at startup.)

WinXP also uses up a lot of memory. That's why I prefer Win2000.
Power unit may be dead. Check the switch behind the hard drive, it must be one 0. Flick it to 1. See if that works.