DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

A motherboard for a "new" Pentium II

fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:19 pm     Post subject: A motherboard for a "new" Pentium II Reply with quote

I found at home a motherboard based on the SLOT1. It's A MSI MS6163 with chipset Via Apollo Pro 133. I would like to install in this motherboard a Celeron 300A. At her time (about 5 years ago), was a good motherboard, or should I choose another with the Intel Chipset?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:44 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

fabiobol no problem if the FSB and the socket is correct.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:42 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Those should match up quite nicely in fact as that chipset also supports the COPPERMINE core cpu's Wink
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:03 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

jmmijo wrote:
Those should match up quite nicely in fact as that chipset also supports the COPPERMINE core cpu's Wink

Yes, I know that but, unfortunately, i noticed that my MSI W6199 v3.4 has a terrible AGP-section! I tried Vampire, a 3D GAME produced in 1999. I used it with a FYI 82440LX MB and a G200 card, it ran fine. Now, with the Via Apollo 133 and a G450 it runs very, very slow! In your opinion, why?
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that this is the early 133 chipset, i.e., IIRC, this had some AGP issues with some graphics cards.

Do you have any older 3Dfx cards, say some Voodoo 3/4/5 cards or even some older nVidia cards perhaps.

I wonder if the combo of the Matrox and Via chipset is what's causing this problem.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:30 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

jmmijo wrote:
I'm thinking that this is the early 133 chipset, i.e., IIRC, this had some AGP issues with some graphics cards.

Do you have any older 3Dfx cards, say some Voodoo 3/4/5 cards or even some older nVidia cards perhaps.

I wonder if the combo of the Matrox and Via chipset is what's causing this problem.

I also have a Savage 4, but it's not so good, and a TNT2 M64. In my opinion, i have to sell the Via-motherboard and buy a 440LX-chipset.

Unfortunately, I haven't a 3dFX card, but I'm searching for an used one.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:21 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to look for a used Intel BX chipset board instead. Most third party boards based on this chipset would do 133 without any problems even though Intel only specced that chipset for 100, it would overclock without any problems Wink

Another option to think about is using a third party DOS VESA driver, like those from SciTechSoft.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:03 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, next week I'll buy a Zida 6ALX-motherboard (do you know it??) with i440BX chipset and also USB installed, 256 RAM, PII450, modem56k and a very cheap Genius PCI audio card. All these things for a price of 30 (i come from Italy), but believe me, it's very cheap. For the Via-based board, I don't know what to do: if I I sold it, I would be very dishonest, because the AGP-section, in my opinion, is very very slow. But maybe it isn't true... I don't know, I have to make more tests. Surely, an I440BX board is more powerful with PII CPU.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:44 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu prolly already will have audio built in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1