I have Dial-up 56k and I hate it!

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

I have Dial-up 56k and I hate it!

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

The subject line says it all! Dial-up is so damn slow! What would take a broadband user 1 minute to download something would take half an hour on mine! DSL is not available for my area, so I can't get faster service. The connection speed is like 21.1k on my computer and it can't get any worse! Who's in a similar situation like me?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Hey tell me about it..

Damn telstra... cant put the line out an extra 3 kms.

So unfortunatelly i cant get DSL..
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Luckily I live in an area with choice, however, having tried out all the connection flavors, I'll stick with my Comcast cable connection :D

I hope your situation changes for the better in regards to your connection speed, really sounds like some noisy lines caused by distance and older equipment at your local CO :(

@Wally, so I see you live down under, but does your local ILEC even offer iDSL service ?!?

This is basically a replacement to the older ISDN technology and uses a 144kb up/down. It's specifically designed for clients that are further away from their local CO's then normal xDSL will allow for a proper connection ;)
Suck it down!
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

I used to be on dialup 56k. Initially my connection was stable at 52kbps. Then my modem died, and my new modem gave me something stable between 50667bps and 5333bps. In the very end of my dialup age I used to be able to connect at the stable speed of 54667bps.

Then I moved to cable. First 750kbps, then 1.5mbps. Was alright most of the time, except that during some periods I suffered often connection drops. I think it was in part due to unstable infrastructure of the cable company in its early days as an internet service provider, and in part due to me connecting the broadband modem through USB. When I started connecting it through Ethernet to my router the problems seemed to stop.

Then we moved to ADSL 1.5mbps. We only did it because we cancelled our subscription to the cable company's TV services (moved to the satellite company), and it was impossible (or infeasible) for us to keep their internet services. Basically I'm pretty happy with the ADSL too, except for one gripe - the upload bandwidth they give for 1.5mbps downloiad is only 96kbps (12KB/s) compared to the cable's 128kbps (16KB/s). Often not so important, but when you want to upload a big file it makes a difference, and also when eMule was uploading at 10KB/s it constantly clogged up my traffic and I experienced slowdowns I never experienced with cable. So I must use Netlimiter to limit eMule by force.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

There is always Satellite internet avalible in any area, but it is very costly to set up. A reciever is $1000 US, but monthly you pay about the same as DSL.
Maxpower

Post by Maxpower »

I have Road Runner. It takes a few secons a file as big as 10mb. I use to have 56k. It costed $25 a year. But it was text only. LOL
War.....It's Fantastic.
Wally

Post by Wally »

jmmijo wrote: @Wally, so I see you live down under, but does your local ILEC even offer iDSL service ?!?

This is basically a replacement to the older ISDN technology and uses a 144kb up/down. It's specifically designed for clients that are further away from their local CO's then normal xDSL will allow for a proper connection ;)
I think they were replacing that..

I imagine they have fixed it but we havent heard anything
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

We've a goverment's plan to get broadband to every cottage by usin' out of us nmt7gsm net, but it takes a long time. :(
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Eugene Esterly III
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Eugene Esterly III »

I'm in the same boat as GameMaster.EXE.

I can only get dial-up in my general area. I have a 56K Modem but I can only get 28.8 Kbps. I live in Breinigsville, PA & we can't even get DSL but Allentown, PA which is only several miles to the east of us has DSL.

Breinigsville, PA is located in Upper Macungie Township which is the largest township in Lehigh County, PA but we can't get DSL because Verizon doesn't want to spend money to upgrade the infrastructure.

Pennsylvania just enacted a law which requires that Verizon upgrade an area for DSL if 50 people or more request DSL.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Hmmmm...

I'm trying to get SBC Yahoo DSL and I live in a neighborhood of about 70 houses and 2 apartment complexes. I'm suprised why my area hasn't upgraed......
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Boy I feel for those that don't have a choice, regardless if they want to use broadband or not.

PDX, has so many options, in fact there's a non-profit group that wants to WiFi the entire metro area. They even pursuaded the city to look into this and the city appears to be moving forward with this, however, they want to charge a minimum fee to cover the cost of the serivice and equipment ;)

Currently, you can go many places in the downtown area and just roam with your mobile device for free :D
Suck it down!
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

For now, I'll have to see about acclerated dial-up. Or maybe NETZERO 3g high-speed dial-up. That any good?
Wally

Post by Wally »

YOu should at least attempt to get ISDN.. or wireless is another option
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Kazer0 wrote:There is always Satellite internet avalible in any area, but it is very costly to set up. A reciever is $1000 US, but monthly you pay about the same as DSL.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Kazer0 wrote:
Kazer0 wrote:There is always Satellite internet avalible in any area, but it is very costly to set up. A reciever is $1000 US, but monthly you pay about the same as DSL.
The problem that occurs with Satellite broadband is it's extreme latency. Not good at all for gaming, d/l yes but not gaming unless you want to lag all the time that is :laugh:
Suck it down!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

jmmijo wrote:
Kazer0 wrote:
The problem that occurs with Satellite broadband is it's extreme latency. Not good at all for gaming, d/l yes but not gaming unless you want to lag all the time that is :laugh:
Thats because Sattelite uses a 56k modem for upload, satellite for download.
Eugene Esterly III
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Well, I saw a write-up in my local newsletter for the area which I live in & I am happy. There is a sign-up sheet to get broadband cable Internet in my area & I signed the sheet several hours ago. If 25% of my area signs up, Service Electric Cable TV will hook up my area for broadband. I hope that it works out since dial-up is inaddiquate for downloading.

I download a lot of freeware games, apps, et al & it takes so long to download the files. Even a 1 MB file takes almost 10 minutes, on broadband, it takes less than a minute to download 1 MB.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

My "new" modem is 56k, but its giving me like 28.1k.
Who's pissed off at dial-up like me?
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Well like I said in the other thread. For years I suffered like you with dial up, and hey you should be pleased yours is giving you 28.1, my download speed was 3-6k. It seriously sucked. Now my downloads start at 600k but they quickly slow down to about 30k.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Eugene Esterly III
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

GameMaster.EXE wrote:My "new" modem is 56k, but its giving me like 28.1k.
Who's pissed off at dial-up like me?
I'm in the same boat as you. My modem is a 56K but I can only get 28.8K in my area because of the phone lines.

I'm not pissed off at dial-up, I'm pissed off at the broadband companies who seem to what to forget about my area. At least Service Electric Cable TV is interest in bringing broadband to my area.