DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

+ Cannot return to Windows -> Xargon keeps restarting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:58 pm     Post subject: + Cannot return to Windows -> Xargon keeps restarting Reply with quote

I have installed Xargon. I worked well for some weeks but now by some reason it has copied itself into the autoexec.bat file. Result is that I cannot return to Windows again. The program keeps starting up automatically. I have read the answers to Scorched Earth problem(Nov 17 2002), but all the tips and hints did not work for me. By deleting the 2 added Xargon lines in the autoexec.bat file, it results in a DOS prompt, but the system will not return to Windows. Installing Windows again did not work either. A start up with a rescue floppy did not help either !
How should I change the autoexec file to go back to Windows again ?
The autoexec file looks like this:

@ECHO OFF
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
C:
CD C:\PROGRA~1\SPEL1~1\XARGON
CALL C:\PROGRA~1\SPEL1~1\XARGON\XARGON.BAT
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /WX

The xargon.bat file consists off:
@echo off
cls
xrfile00 %1 %2 %3

How is it possible that this dos game copies itself into the autoexec file? How can I prevent this in future ?

Please help me,

Jack
procerus
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:26 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you can get back to a normal Windows boot by getting to a DOS prompt and typing in "win /w" without the quotes and hitting enter.

I would guess that the game crashed whilst in DOS mode and Window got its knickers in a twist. It probably won't happen again but if it does just remember "win /w" at the c:> prompt.

Another method is just to delete the autoexec.bat and config.sys in the root of the c: drive "del config.sys" and "del autoexec.bat" (again without the quotes) and then rename the autoexec.wos and config.wos files to autoexec.bat and config.sys. ("ren autoexec.wos autoexec.bat" then enter and "ren config.wos config.sys" and enter again).

Be careful with deleting and renaming system files though!

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games