DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:20 pm     Post subject: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe Reply with quote

Has anyone here seen the movie yet? I have and it was alright even though they added a lot of stuff and cut most of the funny parts from the book. It was a pretty good adaptaion, and the extra was needed, I guess, to make the movie an acceptable length.

Btw, has anyone read any of the books? I'm currently on Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Last edited by Moo on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:22 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty much what I expected and it's not the Universe, it's only the Galaxy as the universe was much too large to cover in an infinite amount of books Laughing

Yes I've read the entire series and I'm reading them again for the dozen or so times since the first. Got the a very nice hard bound version this time so I don't strain my eyes too much Wink
Cakephatt
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:07 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the series by? I have heard some good things about it but I am kind of skeptical.... it might turn out to be another Harry Potter Disaster aOUENG
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:48 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've never read anything by Douglas Adams then ?!?
Cakephatt
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:16 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't even know he existed. Doesn't he make that beer?

Last edited by Cakephatt on Sun May 08, 2005 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:49 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor you cakephat.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe=dosraider Happy
( the book,don't know about the movie)
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:30 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas Adams also did some other projects, one was an Endangered Animals Species reference CD from the DOS/Win16 days. I can't seem to find that package anywhere, it was a very nice reference/documentary type project.

Another one was a game called Starship Titanic, which really seemed to be located in the Hitch-Hikers universe. It's about an ill-fated luxury space liner named the Titanic of all things Laughing

Douglas Adams did some of the voicing as did John Cleese and Terry Jones of Monty Python fame Shit-Eating Grin

You can possibly find it still around too and there is a book that accompinied the game, both the written and the audio tape version too.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:12 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the entire series, as well as the Dirk Gently books and The Salmon of Doubt.

The movie isn't based on the book. It's a whole new version of the story which was created for the radio show, then got turned into a book, video game, comic, TV mini-series, and now a movie. It's not as good as the books/radio show but it's much better than the BBC series and I liked it. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough and should have had more guide entries.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:33 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit dissapointed, but it was still very good. I didn't really like Trillian's acting, and it could've done without the corny naration. On the upside, it had some pretty memoriable moments, and a brillient opening song. It'll probably never become famous, though, as most of the humor is too... off-beat for pop culture to appreciate.

Oh, and the Vogans totally kicked ass! Even though they had a much larger role in the movie than the book, they did it well. "They can't read, they can't write, they can't think. They just run things" -classic line Laughing
John The Ax

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:35 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. A classic? Not by any means? It was, however, a pleasing adaptation of a series that really doesn't work in a visual format, wich was impressive. Most of the humor in the books and radio plays were through descriptions and guide entries. The movies had that obstacle to overcome, and they did it quite well, I thought. The yarn doll scene was amazing.
JBPACKER4
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:41 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

i still dislike the title of this topic... galaxy not universe

John the Ax: Yeah, I hate it, too. Fix'd.
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:08 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the books, love them and then watched the movie. I like the movie, but th other people that i went to the movies with didnt like it because they didnt know what was going on. I knew ofcourse what was going on because i read the book. I would watch the movie again, but i prolly wouldnt buy it Congratulatory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Media, Entertainment, & Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1