DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

5.25 floppy drive

coinheaven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:32 pm     Post subject: 5.25 floppy drive Reply with quote

so i bought this 5.25 floppy disk drive off ebay "as is" and guess what, it doesnt power up! bastards. but anyway, does anybody have a clue how to fix this? i attached the power supply and ide wire, but alas, it does do anything. any help would be grateful. i have goblins 1 and indiana jones the fate of atlantis waiting on floppys to be installed, what i am to do? Thanks!!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:55 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Usely when you buy something offred "as is" you can expect the only thing you can do with those is to use it for spare parts.
Even if you should get it working, i wonder if your 3.25 flops still are readable.But those flops were indeed 'lifelasting',so you never know....
good luck.
Cool
dokzero5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:58 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't connect IDE wires to the floppy drive, it uses a different interface. (The connectors of the floppy cable are smaller, not as wide), but i assue you made a typo (if not, watch out! So don't connect anything to the 5,25" if the other side of the cable goes to the harddisk or cd/dvd (it shouldn't be possible), the other connector only fits on 3,5 and 5,25" disk drives)

Have you tested these things:

Try to connect it to a other connector, most of the time the floppy cable has 2 connectors.

You can try to connect it solo, or connect them both but switch the connectors.

Did you correctly choose the right drive format for floppy's in the bios? You can choose 5,25 DD and HD, try them both, you'll be suprised how many DD drives were sold. They're the most common (340 kb a disk :-) )

If the first one is 3,5" flop and the second 5,25", switch them (so make the 5,25 A: )

Try another power connector, just to check.

If this doesn't work, try to put it in another pc (a old one).

If that doenst work too, your drive is probably broken :-/

Anyway, good luck :-)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:25 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, i would have just given you one if you were australian.. (As long as you supplied postage!)
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:22 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay anway for the floppy?
coinheaven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:49 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 10 bucks. yea, it wasnt the ide wire i connected, it was a bigger one (no clue what its called). i tried the power cord with the cd drive and it worked fine, so it wasnt the power cord. i guess ill just sell it on ebay for parts, which sucks because i have a bunch of games on 5.25 disks.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:09 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you consider buying a complete 286?
Here in belgium you can find them for 2 (aprox 3 us$)
http://www.kapaza.be/detail/820080/Oude_286_PC_met_sherm_en_toetsenbord.html

On a 286 you can install dos and with a null-modem cable transfer your 5.25 to 3.5 flops.Could salvage your 5.25 flopgames.
I doubt if a 3.5 flop could be installed as B drive on a 286,Bios restriction ? Anybody who knows?
I don't know what country you reside, but maybe look around ?
Happy
dokzero5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know it should be possible. Even my XT (8088 10 mhz) had a 3,5" as second diskdrive. Don't forget that at the time even on 286 5,25" wasn't that strange.

Last edited by dokzero5 on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

What i meant was : probably on a 286 there is only a 720kb option. I doubt that a 1.44 mb drive works on a 720 kb parameter.
Excuse me for the confusion, i wasn't very clear on that point.
Also consider:
And finding a (good) working,cheap, 720 kb drive ower days?
And the fact that the late 5.25 flops had 1.2 mb capacity.....
dokzero5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:16 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i can't remember a single 286 that didn't support 3,5" HD (my old 8088 had a 3,5" HD) i'm sure DD / HD 5,25" were supported.

All this talk about 5,25", i'm considering building my own 5,25" drive back in my dos box Shit-Eating Grin

Ps. Had niet verwacht hier ooit zuiderburen tegen te komen :-)
Wally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:02 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

coinheaven: Look at all the wiring on the chip set which connects the power connecter (On the FDD) and see if any components are burnt out.

Send an email to the auctioneer if they are. Then you might get your money back.
coinheaven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:03 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. ill check out the inside, but the buyer said it was untested and sold as is, so i knew i was taking a chance. oh well, ill know for next time.
Wally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:52 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean the seller Wink
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:16 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip for finding some older parts could be asking your local school and/or library.

Many of them will give away and/or sell you an older box for next to nothing. You could just check out which box or boxes have 5.25" floppy drives installed and only ask if you can take one or more of those Wink
coinheaven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

DUH!! I got it working. i had to change the B drive in the bios from none to 5.25 1.2 mb. i thought that it would detect it like a cdrom drive. im dumb, but at least i know for next time!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:47 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL..............and LOL again................... Laughing
SMURF !
Eugene Esterly III
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:42 pm     Post subject: Re: 5.25 floppy drive Reply with quote

coinheaven wrote:
so i bought this 5.25 floppy disk drive off ebay "as is" and guess what, it doesnt power up! bastards. but anyway, does anybody have a clue how to fix this? i attached the power supply and ide wire, but alas, it does do anything. any help would be grateful. i have goblins 1 and indiana jones the fate of atlantis waiting on floppys to be installed, what i am to do? Thanks!!

Basically put, when you buy something "as is", you are buying it the way it currently is. Unfortuntely, many 5.25 floppy drives are sold "as is" because many people are unable to test the drive.

When you buy a 5.25 on EBAY, only but from the auctions which say that the drive works.

I just bought a 5.25 drive this morning on EBAY so that I can buy old games.

There is a seller who is selling several 5.25 floppy drives which are said to be test & they work. You can see some of the 5.25 floppy drives which they are selling at http://computers.search.ebay.com/_Drives-Controllers-Storage_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ165QQsassZmandtcrafts
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:18 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Dual Floppy drive units (3.5" and 5.25" HD both in the space of a cdrom type bay).

My 386/40 uses one of those, and I do have a decent selection of games and files on 5.25" DD and HD disks (because that is what I used in the 19880's and early 1990's).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1