sosDIGIInitDriver Error in STTNG: A Final Unity

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.

sosDIGIInitDriver Error in STTNG: A Final Unity

Post by Guest »

I've mentioned this in a topic before in the "what DOSBox is" but what does this mean is it to do with the sound drivers if so how do I get this game to work because this message appears after the Star Trek splash screen and I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so how did you manage to get it to work (if possible)

I know people have got this to work on DOSBox but i've been getting no replys and no one is explaining to me on how they got the game to work
Elign

Post by Elign »

It's hard to help you when we can't download the game for ourselves and try it out. DOSBox is still kinda young, and has much room for improvement yet.

I'm sorry that we're not able to respond well, but this game is very complex, and the DOSBox settings are complex too, and we would either need to try the game for ourselves, or be personally present at your computer while you're running it.

In the meantime, what you can do, is get as much information as you can. Get screenshots (Alt+Print Screen) of stuff that happens, tell us what's in your DOSBOX.conf file, and maybe other info while you're at it. There may be something we can specifically tell you about.

Unlike many problems, this is a rather quirky one to solve, so let's just bear through it.

Thank you :)
One man

Post by One man »

If you own WinXP try to start the Game with VDM-Sound. I got it startet this way by using only Soundblaster (not SB Pro or SB 16)

If you must use Dosbox try there to use only SB insteed of SB 16.(or SBPro).

Good luck!

Post by Guest »

I don't have VDM-Sound and I risk installing it on my machine cause,

A: it sounds complicated
B: I don't want it messing around with my computer
and C: What exactly does it do?

Also One Man did you get this error as well?

Post by Guest »

How do you just use SB do you put it in the STTNG.INI config file or in the DOSBox config file?

Because I read if you just put SB in STTNG.INI file it comes up with an error i'll try it but i'm not hoping for anything

Post by Guest »

So has there been any progress in solving the error I haven't viewed this site in over a week and a half and wondered is there any solutions to get round this error at all?
Nate

Post by Nate »

I do remember this sosDIGIInitDriver error from way back when I started playing the game (when DOS was still the be all and end all). I don't remeber what I did to fix it, but I found another board where the person found the solution. Go to http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-use ... 00050.html . Sam explains that the game has a SB16 bug in it, so just change to the SB 8 driver. Let me know if this doesn't help.
One Man was refering to the VDM Sound driver being setup as SB; not the STTNG:AFU setup. As you correctly point out the game does not support just SB.

Post by Guest »

YEEEESSSSS!!!!

I've got it to work at last (no sound though....DOH!!!)

Now does anyone know how I could get the game to work with sound whilst playing on DOSBox I'm not far now from finally been able to play the game without any problems (Apart from the slow mouse speed but that doesn't bother me)

Post by Guest »

Changing it to SB8 in the STTNG.ini file doesn't work still get the same old error

Post by Guest »

PROBLEM SOLVED

If you want to know how I got it to work with sound and improved mouse speed and save game problem I've actually installed it within DOSBox some people said you couldn't cause of the CD-ROM speed problem well I've proved something heres how

1. Create a file called STTNG in a drive (for me I placed it into my F: under another directory e.g. Dosgames)

2. Copy over all files on CD and extract sttngins.zip (do not extract sttng.zip) (Do not create a savegame folder)

3.Go into dosbox and mount the file is in as the C drive

4. mount your CD Rom drive as D:\

5. type D:\ then type Install

6. Go through installation of AFU (if it says CD-ROM speed error decrease your speed above your DOSBox window) Select 14mb version and Select C: at target drive installation (DOSBox will think drive you placed your STTNG folder is in the C drive)

7. Once installed exit installer (Don't tamper with sound and video yet)

8. type STTNG to start (If all is right, game should work without sound, notice mouse speed is much smoother)

9. during gameplay click out of DOSBox window and go to STTNG folder and enter the STTNG.ini file.

10 Here are the following changes to be made once on the file
Audio=SB8
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x1
Video=LO8
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff
Dialogs=ON
Scale=ON
DPixel=OFF
Path=C:\STTNG\
CD=D:\
UniVESA=OFF
Some may not need changing and may look like this

11. Save settings, go back onto game, play for a while then save. (Savegame folder should have been created after installation)

12. Quit back to dos then retype STTNG

Voila! Music should sound at the Spectrum Holobyte logo and intros and sound at various areas e.g. menus, voices, sfx
Thats the only way I've managed to get past that hideous sosDIGIInitDriver error
Nate

Post by Nate »

How do you decrease your CD-ROM speed in DOSBox?

Post by Guest »

By pressing CTRL + F11 you will notice the numbers where it starts with 3000 will decrease CTRL + F12 Increases it.

FORGOT TO MENTION

If you can't remember the mount formula for CD-ROM this is what I put (maybe different with other peoples Cd-Rom drive letters)

"Mount d d:\ -t cdrom"

Also when you mount to the file like this

"Mount c f:\dosgames" (Don't use this this is an example of mine)

DO NOT ADD IN THE STTNG FOLDER YOU CREATED IN THE DIRECTORY ONTO THIS MOUNT FORMULA BECAUSE IT CREATES A DUPLICATE FOLDER WHEN INSTALLING AND IT WON'T WORK IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY DETECT THE FOLDER YOU CREATED IN BEFORE INSTALLING AND BELIEVE ITS IN THE C DRIVE

If this is done just c: then type CD STTNG and then type STTNG to start the game