DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Windows XP install
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Elign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:33 pm     Post subject: Windows XP install Reply with quote

I installed Windows XP on a Pentium 200 MMX with 64 MB RAM, I was amazed when it ran at a half-decent speed.
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:59 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is how many apps will you be able to install and how many will you be able to run simultaneously before it chokes and dies.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:38 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

use something like XPLite to remove a lot of the crap, and also something like Blackviper's guide to turning off services to speed up xp.
Elign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:28 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oz.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:27 am     Post subject: I WOULD LIKE TO TRY, TOO! Reply with quote

I really love old computers, like Pentium and Pentium MMX. So, I'm going to buy (used, of course) a Socket7-mainboard with the AT connector, with a Pentium-MMX 200 MHz. I would be very interested in putting on this PC Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 1 (I haven't the 2 version, yet) and use it as a "recorder" for my musical-group. On this PC, we will use some music programs for mixing and recording music. But first of all, I would like to know: if the mainboard didn't support SDRAM and I wanted to use 128 MB of RAM, could I find them on SIMM? In your opinion, could I install something like 256 MB, if the mainboard supports SDRAM? About 2 years ago, we installed Windows XP Pro on a very old machine, like an AMD K6 166 MHz (clocked at 200), with 128 MB of ram and 2,5 GB on HD. It ran very, very well! We had also a very old PCI Video Card, an S3 VIRGE DX/GX 4 MB. Do you know if there are some mainboard for Pentium that support AGP cards? Thank you!
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:34 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well there are loads of mainboards for Super Socket7 (for K6, K6-2, K6-3 CPUs) with AGP slots, and you can install Pentiums in them as well. Just look for K6 boards, chances are you'll find something.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:04 pm     Post subject: Thanks, but... Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, but my problem is a bit strange: my old Pentium-case is a MINI-TOWER with an AT connector, so I have to find a BABY-mainboard (i mean that I need a kind of motherboard that is smaller than the usual motherboards). I was wondering if I could find, for example, a motherboard with socket 7, Baby format, with AGP slot, and the DIMM support. But, if i couldn't find a motherboard with an AGP slot, I would be interested to buy an used 3D accelerated video card on a PCI slot. Can I find anything like this? For example, a Matrox G-200 for PCI slot, or an ATI Charger Rage II.... ?
Thank you for your answer.
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:15 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently, there ARE some Baby-AT Socket7 motherboards with AGP and DIMMs. Check out this page:
http://www.baber.com/motherboards/baby_at_ff.htm

The question here is their availability.

As for 3D-accelerated cards on PCI slots, you can get the Voodoo 3000. I am pretty pleased with its AGP version, which I have on my K6, I assume that the PCI version will have similar features. Again, the question is the availability.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:45 am     Post subject: ANOTHER PROBLEM: THE CACHE and the VOLTAGE Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, but I still have some problems. I read that a Pentium (non-MMX) requires 3.3V, while the Pentium-MMX CPU requires something like 2.8V. Could I risk to burn the MMX if I ran the PC without setting the voltage? And, after that, what about the cache? Is it integrated in the Pentium MMX or shall i buy an "on-board" cache? I read that the Pentium-MMX has 512KB of L-2 Cache. I also read on the Internet that Intel didn't produce any Pentium-200MMX CPU with a ceramic package (it's available only on plastic package). Is it true? However, if you go to www.cpu-world.com, they show that there is a ceramic one, too! How can you explain that?
Thanks a lot
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:56 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advice I can give you is make sure that the motherboard supports the particular CPU you have (model, speed, cache) and that any jumpers are set properly before you boot up.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

XP!dammitn i have 166MMX,128 Mb RAM,and i screwed with admin password,and i couldn't login to my account,so i got back to 98SE.I say darnit.
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:32 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people always screw up with their passwords? I mean, 99% of the time, on a home PC, you don't need a password. And if you do insist on putting one, how the hell do you manage to forget it?
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got, like, 12 different passwords, and none are for my personal home computer. I had one on my old one 2 weeks ago. Screwing is not always forgetting. He could have made a double typo when installing the password. Or delete some important password files.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:49 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

no,you don't understan,firstly i've installed it and i've set teh password for m<y account,but it somehow screwed up,so i had to install it but teh 2nd time it didn't ask me for a new password,and when i started Xp,theres was my account but teh password wasn't the same.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:15 pm     Post subject: I don't know much about passwords, but... Reply with quote

I can't say much about passwords, because I never used them, but with a Pentium-MMX 166 MHz, Windows XP should run quite well... believe me, I tried and it worked!
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:45 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

i know,but the password is shitting me.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:05 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Get tweakui or an equivalent freeware prog and get rid of those startup passwords.Tweakui is free on the microsoft site.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:05 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

did i mention i have 98SE again?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:40 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tweakui also has also W98SE version, but on W98 i prefer Winconfig:
http://freeware.prv.pl/
More tweakings with that one...............
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:39 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,but i don't know how to install it,can't find the .exe file
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2