how do i make my dos games website popular?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

As far as writing reports goes, I recently wrote a 23 page book report and have a 10 page one coming so I may appear as a tad long-winded in your reviews...
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

A DOS site I would be interested in would be a hardware site.

I mean a site showing the most popular old school computer equipment, how to set it up, what kind of software, sound cards, video cards, joysticks where popular during each generation of DOS games from the earliest CGA games all the wat to the last generation quake game (before they went Windows only). It would have pictures jumper settings, reviews, what games show off what hardware etc, memory requirements.

Most if not all the dos game sites I have seen are 100% centered on the games themselves, and maybe how to run the old games on windows XP with emulated sound.

I like to play my old dos,atari 2600, c64, amiga games on the original equipment for the real retro fealing. Nothing like the hiss of an old sound blaster pro, or playing an atari 2600 game with those stiff original joysticks that leave your thumb sore.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: how do i make my dos games website popular?

Post by johpower »

kenny wrote:is there somekind of secret trick? i have a dos games site and i have 17 visitors per day... but my web is like a pass through.... what do u suggest me to do? i cant afford promoting it for money.... :blah:
Just dropped in to your site and found it OK for overall construction.

Critique: The "default" skin in black and grey is too dark, difficult to read. Felt like a cave with no torches. Bring it down to grey and lt. grey at least, maybe some red highlights if you are really into staying w/the darque look, and offer alts to "blue", which indeed looks like the DOS Games skin here.

Your site has a very young clientel. Most below ~16. Since most of this age are Windoze users, the traffic target age needs to be increased. This will not happen if one of your moderators in bitchin' about his "teatcher" in the General forum.

That's all for the moment.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

most of the users in this forum are (or at least were) about 16 years of age or less (with a few exceptions of course). I'm 16 going onto 17 in April, but i know significantly more about windows, DOS, and general programming, computer languages, and computers in general than most people my age and older. I was teaching my programming teacher stuff he didn't know in the program he was teaching us :O
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

same here.... only janruary.
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

My programming teacher doesn't know anything. Not a thing. I do everything. Whenever someone needs help, it's me they call on. All she does is say do your work and I don't want you on the internet. I spend my time here during her class B)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Actually, our members here seem to be primarily of the ages 12-25... I would suspect that they 1. like me didn't have a windows computer for their "personal" (not family) use until 1998 so they know about DOS and remember a lot of DOS games (I had over 1,000 from this CD browser), even though they are young or 2. realized how sucky modern games are and wanted to relive the "good old days" of DOS gaming. (Ah yes, back then, when men were real men, women were real women, and computers were real slow...)
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Dogbreath wrote:Actually, our members here seem to be primarily of the ages 12-25... I would suspect that they 1. like me didn't have a windows computer for their "personal" (not family) use until 1998 so they know about DOS and remember a lot of DOS games (I had over 1,000 from this CD browser), even though they are young or 2. realized how sucky modern games are and wanted to relive the "good old days" of DOS gaming. (Ah yes, back then, when men were real men, women were real women, and computers were real slow...)
Hey im 35! Just trying to play the games I didnt have back when dos was the ONLY choice for a pc.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I'm 15 and will be 16 in 4 days.

The main reason(s) I came here were: 1) My computer used to suck, so I went to games with low requirements. 2) DOS games were more fun. 3) Free. Games. What could be better? Game Hippo is the answer (all things are 100% free), but I still like this :devil:
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by kenny »

emmzee wrote:Hmmm, some of the descriptions on Kenny's site seem rather familiar ... it's almost like I wrote them and he just cut and pasted them into his own site. :Angry: Kenny, if you're reading this, if you're going to blatantly copy my work from my site, the least you could do is add a link back to me. :suspicious:
sorry dude!
i will add when i'll get some time!

no hard feelings :shame: :) :angel: :D
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Yay! He still cares :cry:

*smacks Keeny* Where in bloody hell have you been?
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Oh my god, they killed kenny!

Bastards!
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by kenny »

Da_Goat wrote:Yay! He still cares :cry:

*smacks Kenny* Where in bloody hell have you been?
since i got new pc i have been playing games i have missed all these years!
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

well thats an oxy moron... get a new pc to play older games.
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

If I have trouble running old games, I either 1. use moslo or 2. Slow down my CPU
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

It's possible that actually DID mean ?86. Word 'new' has 2 meanings:
Published lately and just got one.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by kenny »

i got my 286 in 2000 i think

and then in 2001 my mom bought me Intel Pentium 166

and now, in february 2003, my mom bought me new pc. Athlon XP 1700+, 256mb ddram, 20gb hdd, cd and cd-writer, GeForce4 64mb MX460

so now im not playing old games, im just updating my site

recenltly i added couple of modifications to my forum and made an shoutbox for the main page

soon im gonna develop a system which allows me to add games from the admin panel. Currently im adding them manually
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

THere are things like that but they don't give "satisfactory" results.