History of Scorched Earth

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
mbarton

History of Scorched Earth

Post by mbarton »

Hi, folks. I was reading through the forums here and thought that you might be interested in reading an article I wrote for Armchair Arcade called "Scorched Parabolas: A History of Artillery Games." Even though I apparently missed some important DOS games (it was difficult getting info), I think it's probably the best article published on the topic so far. Anyway, enjoy. I'm very eager to hear what you DOS games guys think of it:

http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain/co ... article.51

BTW, Armchair Arcade is non-profit, non-commercial.

Thanks,

Matt
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Awesome article! :) I do think more time should have been spent on the QBasic game Gorilla though ... I still get requests for "that game where you throw bananas at each other" ;)

Anyways, I've bookmarked Armchair Arcade and plan to revisit often to check for new issues B)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
mbarton

Gorilla

Post by mbarton »

Reflecting back, I probably should have put more in about Gorilla. My co-editor (Bill Loguidice) thought I should give it its own paragraph and a screenshot. One commenter said that was nuts for leaving out a game he thought was called "bananas," which turned out to be the infamous Gorilla!

Have you ever played a game called Tank Wars? I totally missed this one, which the same commenter says was the first to offer multiple weapons and equipment.