DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Last DOS gaming year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
Interon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:29 pm     Post subject: Last DOS gaming year Reply with quote

null

Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:58 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

1996 was the last real year for DOS games. It had Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and some things I'm probably forgetting.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:43 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

who knows and who cares...but all versions of Windows are shell of DOS, that includes Win2000 and WinXP, you can just change the BIOS settings to say run from CD-ROM to install Windows or you can just get a Windows 95/98 Start Up Disk and install it manually, but most people do the prior one...Windows NT4, 2000 and Windows XP formats the computer to an NTFS DOS, which means it still has a DOS running behind it. Cause if it wasn't based on DOS you wouldn't be able to ping other computers on a network to check network connections, and other computers online to see if your Modem is configured properly. Linux Machines, I mean like a 486 Linux Debian Machines are little different they use a more advanced and a more complex version of DOS, which you need to download tools such as "GDISK" which is very similar to "FDISK" except it has Linux Partitions on it.

Most games you buy today, can be run in DOS as well as Windows, as they are not just for the Windows XP Users, as not everyone has Windows XP and/or afford Windows XP...so it depends how much mem, megahertz and ram and HDD space you have!!
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:40 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS here refers mostely to MS-DOS. If you are refering to MS-DOS, then everything you just said is wrong. Windows 2000 and abovedo not use MS-DOS what so ever.

However, if you mean just DOS, then you are correct. Why? because DOS means Disk Operating System. Windows IS DOS.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:30 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard Windows was an Operating System not a Disk Operating System, DOS refers to Floppies and CD-ROMs, and as you know Kaz you really don't need a disk of any sort to run Windows, you don't even need a disk to install Windows...Windows CD-ROM have files for installation, but you can copy the CD to a local drive and install it...but I would recommend if you are going to install Windows from a local drive I would suggest creating a partition of 700 - 800MB.

MS-DOS was last found on Windows 98 SE. Which was Late 1998, early 1999.

Last edited by x86_Game-Junkie on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Interon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:43 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:36 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

x86_Game-Junkie wrote:
Last I heard Windows was an Operating System not a Disk Operating System, DOS refers to Floppies and CD-ROMs, and as you know Kaz you really don't need a disk of any sort to run Windows, you don't even need a disk to install Windows...Windows CD-ROM have files for installation, but you can copy the CD to a local drive and install it...but I would recommend if you are going to install Windows from a local drive I would suggest creating a partition of 700 - 800MB.

MS-DOS was last found on Windows 98 SE. Which was Late 1998, early 1999.

Since when is a Hard Drive not a Hard Disk?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:39 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

When other letters than C were available. (MS-DOS 3?)
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:58 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

When people say DOS they mean the DOS core, that is the set of operating system functions that are available for programmers, the way DOS handles memory, drivers, etc. In this sense, WinNT/2K/XP are not DOS. They provide a partial emulation of DOS (compatibility mode and the likes of it) and they have a command prompt, actually with more functions and commands that DOS had, but they are not DOS in its pure form. That is why many DOS games cannot run well or at all under these operating systems.

The last Microsoft OS to officially be based on DOS was, like Game-Junkie mentioned, Windows 98 SE. However, Windows Millennium (ME) was also based on the DOS core, it's just that Microsoft were stupid enough to artificially disable it (can be reenabled with an unofficial patch). As a result - WinME is the crappiest Windows ever - all the problems of DOS with none of the benefits.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:59 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

WinME is very crappy, even more than Win98...
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:07 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that Win98 is thhhe best OS ever

*BLAM - s Win2k,XP* Violent
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:39 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ro@m Windows 98 was the best OS, Windows brought out...
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:14 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I don't think you ever used WinXP. In Win98 I get those blue screens all the time, when I had WinXP on my computer, I never had them. Plus WinXP has a lot of nice extra options Happy
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether WinXP's extra options are nice or annoying is a matter of opinion, but its stability is unquestionable. Unless you're into DOS gaming, 2K/XP blow 98/98SE away totally. But people on this site obviously ARE into DOS gaming, so I can understand the somewhat negative attitude towards the NT-kernel OSes.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:21 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, NT is excellent, especially for work related purposes (such as MS powerpoint) but really aren't that great as gaming machines.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:39 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Joris, I have used Windows XP Home/Professional before on numerous occasions...but, I prefer Windows 98 and Windows 2000 over Windows XP for the sheer fact that Windows XP is too darn user friendly!!
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:20 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all of the OS's from Windows 2000 up until I ran out of Hard Drive space and replaced them all with games instead... Windows 2000 is way better than 98. I have NEVER had it crash, and have NEVER seen the blue screen.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:32 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had or seen many crashes on Windows 98 and/or Windows 2000, and if I do have crashes they are normally software related.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree with Ro@m Windows 98 was the best OS

Shit-Eating Grin hehehe i still got it installed! Shit-Eating Grin

Quote:

In Win98 I get those blue screens all the time

Confuzzled i don't get them(maybe because i reinstall the OS every 3-4 months?)
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a computer which is Windows 98 and runs perfectly, actually thats the computer I do my web designs on!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2