DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best FPU for 386 Machine

cheers_rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:51 pm     Post subject: Best FPU for 386 Machine Reply with quote

Hi:

I'm building a 386 system from parts. The CPU is a AMD 386DX-40, so I need a 387DX-40 coprocessor. What is the best/fastest FPU? I've heard Cyrix FasMath is pretty good, but they seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks!
Interon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:55 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh.

AFAIK, AMD is the only computer chip company that made a 40 MHz 386, so I'm guessing that AMD would be the only supplier of 40 MHz FPUs.

However, there are DOS programs that can emulate the 80x87.
cheers_rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:30 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

JMS wrote:
Oooh.

AFAIK, AMD is the only computer chip company that made a 40 MHz 386, so I'm guessing that AMD would be the only supplier of 40 MHz FPUs.

However, there are DOS programs that can emulate the 80x87.

Yes, but there are multiple third-party FPU's (IIT, Cyrix, ect.) I was wondering which one would be the best. I actually didn't think AMD made a 386 FPU, because I've never seen or heard of AMD versions of the 387. Thanks.
Interon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, does a 40 MHz 80x87 chip exist? And if yes, is it rare? Also if the chip is already in a computer, it will be hard to remove it without bending the pins.

CR, the chances of you finding that chip are about 1 in a million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games