DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FPUs-The Greatest (old) Processor ever!

Vizzue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:49 pm     Post subject: FPUs-The Greatest (old) Processor ever! Reply with quote

I am here to brag about my FPU. FPUs are basically old processors that have architecture that makes them different from a regular (or newer) CPU. Quake will only run on an FPU, and i have one, and it runs at an amazing 200mhz!!!! Malevolent
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Every amd/ti/intel chip after the 386 had a FPU built in. Nexgen processors did not.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:06 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

JMS wrote:
A few 486SX chips had no FPU built in (some 486SX chips had the built in FPU but it was disabled! Shocked )

Yes, I should have mentioned the SX chip. That particular style was sold when the 486 was first produced and died out by the time the dx/2 were popular.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:12 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 486SX without the FPU were the tiny ones that were soldered on to the motherboard and the 486SX with the dead FPU was the big loose ZIF one that were the same size as 486DX chips of the same clock speed. Am I right?
cheers_rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm     Post subject: 486SX Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think the 486SX without the FPU were the tiny ones that were soldered on to the motherboard and the 486SX with the dead FPU was the big loose ZIF one that were the same size as 486DX chips of the same clock speed. Am I right?

Yes, that's correct. I have an old Tandy Desktop with a 486SX on-board chip. Right next to it, it has a Socket 3 OverDrive Socket, so I put a DX2-66 chip in it.
Cyber Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:50 pm     Post subject: Vizzue is A Smacktard Reply with quote

Vizzue is A Smacktard Laughing
Vizzue The "Smackata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:03 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, well, i guess i lose. you guys are too nerdy, even for ME! Looks like dosgames brought in the big guns on me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games