DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Mr. Ancient I Am!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> dosgames.com Site Suggestions
BillyBob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:41 am     Post subject: Mr. Ancient I Am! Reply with quote

Call me archaic, but I think there should be some advice in how to get games to work in Windows 98.
Thunderdog
Token Black Guy
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:36 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, windows 98 is perfect, and if anything doesent work under it, I just run it under DOS, so, support for win98 would be a tad bit useless.
BillyBob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:26 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, though a valid point, nonetheless.

*goes off to ice his nads*
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:55 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there'd be more support for 98/98SE but most of the errors can be solved by pretty basic shit (EMS memory, DOS mode and sound pretty much the only 3 things that (rarely) cause any trouble) so the demand for support is pretty low. If 98SE was as hard to run as, say, XP, then we'd definitely have a support section, but as I said, there isn't much made after '84 that Win98 can't run. It's really an excellent OS.
Interon

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:36 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much MS-DOS 7.10, that's what Windows 98 runs on top of. When you run a DOS game in Windows 98, you're running it using MS-DOS 7.10!

Windows XP is based on OS/2 and only offers a limited functionality DOS emulator called NTVDM. That's why Windows XP needs more support, it has no DOS foundation like Windows 98 does.
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:26 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good job at making things up. Windows XP is based on 2000, which is based on NT, which is based on 3.1 NT file system. OS/2 is no where in there. OS/2, in fact, was a DOS competetor back in the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> dosgames.com Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1