#dosgames IRC chat-in need of operators

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

#dosgames IRC chat-in need of operators

Post by Dogbreath »

I'm going to be restarting the dosgames chatroom, but first I need several members to volunteer to help operate it.

Unlike the frequently asked for moderator position which we really don't need any more of, I am desperately short of operators and need 5 or 6 people to fill. The requirements aren't very high.

1. Experience with IRC, or at least the ability to learn quickly.
2. The ability to offer consistently offer 2 to 3 hours daily for being on the channel. (You don't have to just sit in front of it all day-I used to do my homework by the computer/go webbrowsing and only pay attention when I got message beeps most of it can simply be paying attention while doing other stuff)
3. At least one person who has familiarity with Eggdrops and IRC bots. (And preferably a shell account that allows them ;))
4. Preferably variation-we don't one all of our OPs from one timezone.

Actually, most of the OPs duty would be to sit around and talk to new users who happened to drop by thus building the channels' member list with maybe one to help script and run a channel bot.

The very *worst* thing you could do is volunteer to try to be "helpful" and then stop showing up after 2 days. Please only sign up if you have the time and patience for this.

Once I have enough people I'll move on to the next stage.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I'll do it assuming the new room is on freenode so that I can be on while getting php/phpbb/mysql/web/apache help.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

i would be willing to help

I would need some IRC
The ability to offer consistently offer 2 to 3 hours daily for being on the channel. (You don't have to just sit in front of it all day-I used to do my homework by the computer/go webbrowsing and only pay attention when I got message beeps most of it can simply be paying attention while doing other stuff)
DB 2 to 3 hours daily?? What on earth for?
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

In fact i could do it, somewhere near 6:00 pm GMT+2. The only thing is that I don't have experience of BOTs... I have IRC and know how to use. It's just the bots I'm not familiar with. I'd be great fun!
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
denrix
<font color=CC00CC><i>*Special*</font>

Post by denrix »

I have been talking with DB, and a dedicated eggrop is on its way. might take a couple of days though. we have to customize it for your needs.
sasha: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my boyfriend.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Core 12, Dnirex, good, that's 2 at least (maybe 3).

Wally: Do you have any previous with IRC opping? If not and you still want it badly I could give you a tutorial, though I reccomend you learn it on your own.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dogbreath wrote:Core 12, Dnirex, good, that's 2 at least (maybe 3).

Wally: Do you have any previous with IRC opping? If not and you still want it badly I could give you a tutorial, though I reccomend you learn it on your own.
:)

I have had experience with WInmx opping

Please send me that tutorial
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I meant I could teach you how myself.
denrix

Post by denrix »

he's teh masta. :P

but, DB, with eggdrop, i dont think we should have many ops. just give the ones that should have it a passcode into the bot, and they can ban from there. the eggdrop has this whole console thing, where everything is easier...in theory... :D
sasha: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my boyfriend.
Wally

Post by Wally »

i still think a winmx channel would be more sutible as my research follows..

People all over winmx want dosgames working and there is not one single dos gaming channel.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Kazer0-you know you CAN duel run servers as easily as you can channals in mIRC, right?
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

No I don't have experience of operating, Dogbreath. I'd like some instructions.
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

No offence-but maybe you with no experience should wait around as members for a while first.

Dnirex: The reason i want ops isn't for ban control (I don't expect much trouble) but to have a group of people who "jumpstart" the channal and keep it going. Before we'd get a lot of 1 time visitors, but there would be no one else human there to great them so they'd get bored and leave forever. If we have enough (~5-6, with maybe 1 or 2 on consecutively) ops there then we could coax other members to stick around and build the memberlist from there. Granted, it'd be a bit odd having 80% of members being ops at first, but it'd balence out.
Wally

Post by Wally »

So you need Ops to keep channel up and running :O
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Dogbreath wrote:Kazer0-you know you CAN duel run servers as easily as you can channals in mIRC, right?
Yeah, but I choose not to. Just make it freenode, since freenode is in the top 10 most popular IRC thing.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Dogbreath wrote:No offence-but maybe you with no experience should wait around as members for a while first.
well alright...

...there was fun."

veratien

Post by veratien »

Kazer0 wrote:
Dogbreath wrote:Kazer0-you know you CAN duel run servers as easily as you can channals in mIRC, right?
Yeah, but I choose not to. Just make it freenode, since freenode is in the top 10 most popular IRC thing.
Bare in mind that Freenode is an Open Source development network... It's aimed at tech support, mainly.

Something like irc.enterthegame.com or similar might be a better idea in this case...
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

*Nods* that was one of my apprehensions about putting it on freenodes as well. It used to be located on Austnet (a good server) but at the moment I don't exactly have a good relationship with the people who run that server. I might try Dnirex's server (it'd help with bot speed and pingtime, not to mention I already have an account there) or the one you suggested.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

I could help as well, I guess.
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

I can be a channel operator. I've got time, know a lot about IRC and I am a really great guy, to boot.