DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My system (not yet built)

wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:16 pm     Post subject: My system (not yet built) Reply with quote

Here are the specs

Thermaltake VM3000A (Black, no PSU)
Thermaltake Butterfly 470w PSU (black)
Lite-on 8x DVD-RW (black)
Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW (black)
Neon (maybe, the PSU has blinking LED, so neon may not be needed)
Neon-controller knobs (only needed if I get Neon)
Mitsumi Card-reader / floppy drive (black)

Now the good stuff

AMD 2gig 1m cache 64bit
Asus K8V-Deluxe
1gig Corsair twinX Pro LED
2 250gig SATA drives (or 2 250gig IDE... depends on price)
ATi Radeon 9800XT (or maybe Asus... easier to Overclock)
Soundblaster Audigy II Platinum
Asus TV/FM card

Loading system with:
Win XP / Linux (Debian, Mandrake, or Lindows)

And so there you have the "Bragg0rb0x" With it I shall learn how to uber-ha><0r the Windows registry, load it w/ DesktopX (or w/e it's called)
and teach myself Linux (and yes I'm ready to reformat on an almost daily basis... how much is Norton Ghost...? Laughing )

Grand Total: $3371.63 Canadian (that's after teh tax, but before my discount)

-Richard-
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:06 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very nice system, and it should last you a while. Just dont get too depressed when faster systems come out in 6 months, bragging rights dont last long on computers.

Out of curiosity why are getting a cdrw and a dvd+/-rw for that gaming system? The dvd recorder will burn cdr's just fine and from what I remember some games wont even run if you try to play them in a recordable drive (need a normal dvd or cdrom instead because of software protection).
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:28 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Loading system with:
Win XP / Linux (Debian, Mandrake, or Lindows)

do you have to have windoze on it?
Interon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:31 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using RAID on those two drives?
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:34 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Server 2003 is SO much cooler than XP.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:46 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown_K wrote:

Out of curiosity why are getting a cdrw and a dvd+/-rw for that gaming system? The dvd recorder will burn cdr's just fine and from what I remember some games wont even run if you try to play them in a recordable drive (need a normal dvd or cdrom instead because of software protection).

The DVD burner will probably only do 48x... and I want 52x Laughing (They're like $32 CAN... why not?)

na010894 wrote:

Are you using RAID on those two drives?

The board I'm going to get supports RAID, but I've never used it before. If it's not too hard to set up, then sure!

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:

do you have to have windoze on it?

I only want Linux on there as a learning experience. I need teh Wind0rz for Homework, and gaming.

One thing I forgot to mention is that if I decide to go with the liquid cooling (I can expect to put a LOT more money on that total) and I'll also buy the Thermaltake Aquarius III box.

-Richard-
Interon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different kinds of RAID. One is slow but protects your data, the other is fast but you're putting your data at double risk (if one of your hard drives crash, all your data on both drives is gone!)

You might have to do some reading but it shouldn't be too tough for you to handle.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:21 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

na010894 wrote:
There are different kinds of RAID. One is slow but protects your data, the other is fast but you're putting your data at double risk (if one of your hard drives crash, all your data on both drives is gone!)

You might have to do some reading but it shouldn't be too tough for you to handle.

Raid 0 is striping where 2 or more drives have parts of data on them and you get greater speed at a greater risk (1 drive dies you lose all the data)

Raid 1 is where 2 or more drives are mirrored, no speed increase and you lose capacity but its more reliable.

then there are combinations of the 2 where some drives are striped while 1 or more hold data so that a bad drive can be replaced and filled back.

I use raid 0 on my main machine for storing large files before they get burned on another machine, much faster moveing data.
Interon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:32 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Unknown_K! I couldn't remember the numbers! Happy
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:22 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya... nor could I. Maybe I won't go RAID... Is it much faster than using 2 HDD's +8mb CACHE?
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:22 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets say that you have 2 80gb drives that have an individual speed of 20mb/sec. In raid 0 the file your loading is in 2 halves (one half stored on each drive) so when you run it your getting 2x20mb/sec or 40mb/sec transfer speed since your loading the file parts from both drives at the same time combining their top speeds (minus a little overhead). This is why raid 0 is very popular, but like I said before if one of your drives dies ALL your data goes with it (since parts are on each drive).

P.S. The computer would just see one very fast 160gb drive in this configuration. Just about any raid card can also span the drives to create one 160gb drive but it wont be striped so that if 1 drive fails you just lose the data on that 1 drive. the cool part of spanning is having one large drive instead of 2 (or more) smaller ones so you dont have to dig around multiple drives to find your files and wont have multiple almost full drives that wont fit that last file you need.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:07 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll hold off on teh RAID for a while
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You read wrong. There are no problems whatsoever running games from recordable drives. None.

Quote:
The DVD burner will probably only do 48x... and I want 52x

There are many good reasons to own a DVD-Recorder and a CD-Recorder but that one is just plain retarded. I mean if the DVD-Recorder burnt at 24x (some do), I'd understand, but 48x to 52x?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games