DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a website to play DOS games w speed control?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
dbtothados

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:12 am     Post subject: Is there a website to play DOS games w speed control? Reply with quote

Looking for a site where I can play the games with some sort of speed control. classic reload has a nice dosbox emulator but I can't control the crazy fast speed, even with their key command. Any others out there?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:00 am     Post subject: Re: Is there a website to play DOS games w speed control? Reply with quote

dbtothados wrote:
classic reload has a nice dosbox emulator but I can't control the crazy fast speed, even with their key command

This is probably because the cycles are set to max, which emulates way more CPU power than needed on modern host PCs.

You need to manually configure DOSBox to use less cycles. I have found the limit cycles option as described here very useful. Most VGA games run near perfectly with the following setting:
Code:
cycles=auto 70% limit 26800

According to DOSBox wiki (link above) this produces an approximate equivalent of a 486 PC.

Note that you might want to use a different setting,
Code:
cycles=max 70% limit 26800

if you're playing resource-intensive real mode games, as otherwise they will be stuck with the default 3000 cycles auto mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1