DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Starflight like game, top down space fleet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games
Darius_bd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:28 am     Post subject: Starflight like game, top down space fleet Reply with quote

Hi ppl! I'm breaking my head over this game, and I have this little fear that it was too niche. If we could put a name on it I'd feel a massive relief xD

So, I don't remember if this game was for DOS or Windows 95 but I'm inclining for the later. It's like a space fleet game (similar to Starflight I think, I haven't played that game but is the closes thing I've found on Google) where you have to conquer worlds in a top-down view, the graphics are atrocious, like I think only 16 colours and the ships had no detail to them, they rather look like icons made of 16x16 pixels. I remember it took a while to get to the planets so there was a button saying "ETA x days" and since English is not my native tongue, I had no idea what ETA meant. Also I remember one of the type of ships you could build was named "Dreadnought" (or similar... death orb?). I know nowadays every ship is named like that but back then it was also the first time I saw that name.

It also may have come the demo in this magazines in a CD, I think it was called Hot Shareware.

And the music came with MIDI files I could listen later on the media player of windows 95.

I don't know what else I could add, but if anyone out there could help, it would be just awesome.

Many thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out GalCon / Galactic Conquest series. Early games are text, later with graphics. Or games like Spaceward, Ho!
Darius_bd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, very close! It definitely looks the part, specially with this image http://www.galcon.com/classic/historic/1998.png and the ships looking like simple icons.

But I remember it had a more busy the interface. So I guess that means it was for Win95.

I also remember the battles were automatic. You just sit and watch the ships shooting at each other, with very crappy graphics. Like, lasers would just be a pixelated line from one ship to the other.

Actually, I remember it looking something like this:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

That image looks sorta like the Star Control series, which had an arcade ship combat mode and a "take over the galaxy" campaign modes.

And the GalCon image you linked reminds me of Reach for the Stars aka RFTS. That and Worlds at War were two of my favorite 4x space games b'in the day.

And we can't get these games listed without at least mentioning the Masters of Orion aka MOO series, probably the most famous/successful of the Space 4x, in case you haven't excluded it yet.

Celebratory
Darius_bd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your efforts! Alas, it's none of those. I think def it was a win95 game because I kinda remember menu buttons with shades and not DOS like.

I think it was too "indie". It had a generic name and I doubt it was any "mainstream" one (as much as mainstream could a game be back then)

But Thanks once again Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1