DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Educational Game from Early 90s Featuring Puzzles / Quest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games
Ta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 am     Post subject: Educational Game from Early 90s Featuring Puzzles / Quest Reply with quote

I used to play this game at Primary (Elementary) school in the UK in the early 90s - before 1995. I'm not sure of the platform, but it was the old style of computer that was used in schools, and the game did not work after the school upgraded the computers in 1995.

It was an educational game which involved following a quest-based narrative and solving puzzles (which may have had some mathematical content, I'm not certain). The game started on a beach and you had to reach an island. I can't remember why.

There was a 2D picture in the top half of the screen and text / questions in the bottom half. I can't remember if there was any animation in the picture between questions, but most of the time it was very static. I remember the background being black but the colours being very bright.

One of the puzzles involved choosing the correct order to jump into hexagons to cross a swamp. Sometimes you could choose which direction to go in. If you went one way, you met a wizard in a cave. The first major aim was to find a boat to take you to an island; I don't think I ever got further than that before my computer time was up and I had to switch off.

Edited to add - It was very similar to the game Granny's Garden, but with a different storyline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer was probably a BBC Micro. The educational adventure game you want might be on one of these lists:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/bbc-micro_/adventure/list-games
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/bbc-micro_/educational/list-games

Or it might have been another Acorn computer, or a rare school with UK competitor systems like the ZX Spectrum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Find Old Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1