Identify old PC adventure game from picture

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
dosgamer8522

Identify old PC adventure game from picture

Post by dosgamer8522 »

I played this game in 1990 but cannot remember the name.
I have found a picture of the game in a old French Magazine called
'Génération 4', the issue date is November 1989.

Here is the image

The screenshot from the game I want to identify is the two with the red arrows pointing at them. The other screenshots are from 'Future Wars', which os a different game.
I think both game was developed by Delphine.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Looking through the list of Delphine games, style, person and ship look like Cruise for a Corpse, though they didn't have shots of the same levels.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/cruise-for-a-corpse

http://www.mobygames.com/company/delphi ... ernational
dosgamer8522

Post by dosgamer8522 »

Unfortunately it wasn't Cruise for a Corpse. Looking at the screenshots it has the same user interface as was used in Future wars. It was also in French.
I went through Delphine listing on Mobygames and it is not on there.
May be someone from France will know more.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Too bad!

And you're certain it isn't a specific time era level from "Future Wars"? The game description said the player goes to the past as well. (I've never played any of these games, so I'm just making guesses.)

I was using Google Translate to look for French game names in the text; I found Dans Les Voyagers du Temps / Future Wars: Adventures in Time easily enough, but didn't have any other luck with short passages. You might read French of course, but if not, that might be a way to read the article for other clues? Any luck tracking down the magazine and/or finding the surrounding pages?

I found this, with a list of the games reviewed in that magazine:
http://amr.abime.net/issue_2786_reviews
Hennie

Post by Hennie »

Just gonna chip in here, I scanned through the game list, Googled up images of each and the only game who's layout corresponded with OP's is "Future Wars". It's almost certainly the same game, just a wide variety of scenes due to supposed time travel; Quadko has a point there.

On a different note, that review list introduced me to some interesting-looking games, particularly 'Altered Beast', 'Shadow of the Beast' and 'Stormlord', love the look of these!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's the archived version of Delphine Software's website listing their games:
http://www.delphinesoft.com/ANGLAIS/jeux.htm

The early titles include Time Travelers, Operation Stealth and Cruise for a Corpse. However none seem to match as in the screenshots you have found the protagonist seems to be some kind of sea captain in uniform (?).

Maybe this game wasn't developed by Delphine after all?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Brainstorming other possibilities:
* I tried a google image search of "similar image" to the screenshots with no luck, (though since they are monitor shots, maybe not surprising!).
* If the game was still in pre-release, it could be a chapter/level they trimmed from the Future Wars game, though if OP says he remembers playing it maybe not.
* Might different platforms (Amiga, ST, Dos, etc.) have slightly different games? Trim this level out of some versions for space?
* I watched a beginning-to-end long play of Future Wars on youtube, didn't see anything like the target pictures.

I remember having lots of fun with Altered Beast! Arcade, computer ports, I don't recall exactly where I played, but fun to be a were-beastie in a brawler.